Student Advisory Board
The Office of Equity works to prevent and remediate harassment, discrimination, and sexual misconduct in the Northwestern community, and is committed to integrating student voices into these efforts. The purpose of the Office of Equity Student Advisory Board (SAB) is to provide a dedicated avenue for student perspective, feedback, and recommendations on the goals and services of the Office of Equity.
SAB Objectives – 2020-21
- Further develop training for mandatory reporters, so as to include topics such as effective and trauma-informed strategies for taking a report, crisis intervention, and available resources to offer those who report.
- Review, and provide feedback on, the cultural responsiveness of policies, resource offerings, and intervention options that OE provides to the NUQ community.
- Review the GQNBT Task Force documentation to offer feedback on where and in what manner OE can engage with the Task Force recommendations.
- Review, and offer student-centered insights to, the climate survey and other data reports available via OE. This may include ideas for implementing lessons from the data, and further questions to ask.
Ada Ogbonna - Undergraduate Student
Ali Bianco - Undergraduate Student
Alisa (Ally) Reith - PhD Student, SESP
Anita Kinney - PhD Student
Bailey Flynn - PhD Student, School of Communication
Brandon Alston - PhD Candidate, Department of Sociology
Gabriela Chavez Barrientos - Northwestern Pritzker School of Law
Jordan Plummer, Northwestern Pritzker School of Law
Julia Rutkowski - Undergraduate Student
Julianne Murphy - PhD Candidate, TGS
Khadija Ahmad - Undergraduate Student
Rea Singh Mishra - Undergraduate Student
Sophie Lamb - Undergraduate Student
Spencer Colton - Undergraduate Student
- Assisted with recruiting community members to complete the Climate Survey
- Reviewed and provided feedback on OE policies, procedures, training, and resource guides
- Reviewed and provided feedback on OE/Northwestern’s comments to Department of Education/OCR proposed Title IX regulations.
- Reviewed and provided feedback on OE policies and procedures
- Reviewed Climate Survey results.
- Project work:
- (Will) Developed a listing of faculty at Northwestern who conduct research relevant to OE policies
- (Eda) Developed an educational packet for graduate students to assist them in their reporting obligations
- (Alex) Worked with NSFP on guides for Peer Mentors to teach their students about reporting
- (Ally) Worked with Amy Huntington regarding the Climate Survey data
Anita Kinney - PhD Student
I applied to the SAB because I wanted to connect beyond the law school with the broader Northwestern community. I had no idea this decision would bring me into contact with NU students from all over the world. This has been a unique opportunity to learn not just about internal university policies and procedures, but Northwestern’s impact in Chicagoland and far beyond.
Contact the SAB Advisors:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 847-467-4335