Northwestern University and lynda.com have partnered to offer University students, faculty and staff unlimited, on-demand access to a full library of online courses at no additional cost for a pilot period of one year.
Course topics include most major software programs as well as workplace skills like presentations, leadership and career development. While course topics cover a broad spectrum, you'll find the most general training under the "Business" section. Browse the current full library, and note that new courses and topics are added every week.
- Staff—Use lynda.com for supplemental professional development and on-the-job assistance.
- Faculty—Use lynda.com in your syllabus or consider using the tutorials yourself.
- Students—Use lynda.com to stay current in your courses or for classes that require additional software skills.
With lynda.com, you can learn at your own pace and access course content anytime, 24/7, from your University computer, personal computer, mobile device or tablet.
Go to Northwestern’s lynda.com log in page to get started and set up your account with your NetID and NetID password. For access on mobile devices, download and open the lynda.com app, select Web Portal Access, and enter your organization’s URL (northwestern.edu). Select go. When prompted, enter your NetID and NetID password. You will be directed to your lynda.com profile to begin training.
Already have a lynda.com account? You can permanently merge your previous account data when setting up your new Northwestern account so that your complete course history will transfer. Any history merged to this new account will no longer be available in the previous account. This merge cannot be reversed.
Personalized Learning Experience
Northwestern's lynda.com partnership gives students, faculty, and staff a more personalized learning experience. Its features include:
- Playlists: Playlists allow you to build collections of courses you want to watch. You can build playlists of courses around any topic that interests you, and share your collections with other users; for instance, faculty and instructors can share playlists with students in their classes. To learn to use these features, watch Creating and managing your playlists and Sharing your playlists from lynda.com. View Sample Playlists.
- Course history: Through the course history feature, you can view a list of every course you have taken from your Northwestern lynda.com account. Your most recent courses will appear at the top of the list, enabling you to easily pick up where you left off. For more, watch Starting where you left off with Course History from lynda.com.
- Certificates of completion: When you have viewed all the movies in a lynda.com course, you can earn a certificate of completion demonstrating your completion of that course. You can then share these certificates with professors, supervisors, or prospective employers. For more, watch Printing and sharing Certificates of Completion from lynda.com.
- Choose your player: Lynda.com movies are compatible with Flash, QuickTime, or Windows Media Player, allowing you to choose the movie player that best suits your needs. For more, watch Choosing the right video player for your needs from lynda.com.
- Communications preferences: All Northwestern students, faculty, and staff can sign up for lynda.com's monthly newsletter, new release notifications, and special announcements and offers. For more, watch Setting your news and email preferences from lynda.com.
Offer feedback and share how lynda.com has benefited you through the lynda.com evaluation.
For assistance when using lynda.com, access the full support site, including system requirements, frequently asked questions and more.
For assistance accessing lynda.com, contact the NUIT Support Center at 847-491-4357 (1-HELP) or submit a support request. Assistance is also available on the trouble logging in page.