Graduate Housing Application Procedure

Apply for Graduate Housing

To apply for a space in Graduate Housing, please log into the housing portal to submit your graduate housing application and contract. Graduate housing applications are only available for full-time enrolled graduate students and post-doctoral candidates. 

Students will submit a Graduate Housing Application/Contract which will be available on April 1st of every year. The following week students will participate in New Graduate Room Selection. Students will choose the building and room type, based on availability.

You will need your NetID and password to access the housing portal. If you have not yet received your University/Employee ID, you will not be able to access the application. Please contact your respective department for this information.

When completing the housing contract, students must include other occupants that may live in the unit. Other occupants can include spouses, domestic partners, and dependent children. Documentation must be provided for other occupants to live in graduate housing.

What’s New in Graduate Housing

Two and Three Bedroom Units

Two and three bedroom units will be rented to either families (including spouse, domestic partner and/or children) or individual residents. Students with families will need to provide documentation for dependents (marriage certificate for spouse, civil union certificate for domestic partner and birth certificate for children). Once documentation is received, dependents will be registered as other occupants and can be given keys. Individual students may also rent two bedroom apartments. For individual renters, only one key per apartment will be provided; renting or sharing the second bedroom is a violation of the housing contract.


One key will be issued when a student checks in. Students in large one bedroom, regular one bedroom single, two bedroom or three bedroom units that have a dependent (spouse, domestic partner and/or children). Documentation in the form of marriage/civil union certificate for partners and birth certificate for dependent children will need to be submitted to the housing office. Once we receive documentation those individuals will be listed as other occupants and eligible for an additional apartment key. If you have not provided documentation for other occupants you will only get one key to your unit. The front desk staff at Engelhart and McManus will not be able to accept documentation.

You will need to submit that to the housing office at:

Rates for Graduate Housing


Engelhart Hall and Garrett Place units are available to all graduate students. McManus Center units are available to Kellogg graduate students only. Applicants must be accepted for admission to or currently enrolled in their respective schools before a housing application will be accepted.

Notification & Deposit


If  space is available, you will be notified of your apartment assignment via e-mail. Students must  accept the offer within five business days and submit the $300 housing prepayment via Caesar. Please do not send a housing prepayment unless you are offered housing. Once the prepayment is received,  a confirmation email will be sent.


Students who have submitted their tuition deposit to our Kellogg admissions office indicating their intent to enroll, and who have also submitted their McManus Center applications by May 1st, will be randomly assigned a lottery number. Apartment assignments will be made according to the lottery numbers. Students who submit their applications after May 1st will be assigned apartments on a first-come, first-served basis. If we are unable to accommodate all the requests, a waiting list will be established and assignments will be made from the waiting list throughout the summer.

Contract Information/Renewal

Housing contracts are written for Fall, Winter and Spring quarters with an option to renew for the summer. Current residents are given an option to renew leases in February, before assignments are offered to new students.

Terms and Conditions Termination

Residents leaving the university are required to deliver written notification of their request to terminate their housing contract to the Housing Office. The request should be submitted through the Graduate Housing Cancellation Request form. No apartment shall be considered vacated until a resident has removed all possessions, surrendered the unit's keys and checked out at the main office. Click here to review our housing cancellation policy.

Residency Limitations

Occupancy is limited to eight years (96 months) from the original date of your admission to your program.