Residence and Board Contract
DEPARTMENT OF RESIDENTIAL SERVICES
FALL 2014/WINTER 2015/SPRING 2015
CONTRACT TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This Residence and Board Contract ("Contract") establishes a legal, binding agreement between Northwestern University ("University") and the student ("Student") for use of assigned space and facilities of a residence for and in consideration of the keeping and performing by Student of all understandings, agreements, terms and conditions of obligation enumerated herein.
The Contract does not guarantee assignment to a particular type of accommodation (room or apartment) or assignment to any preference indicated by Student. Student's preferences are requests only - room, apartment, occupancy, and University's granting of roommate requests cannot be guaranteed. Please note that refunds of any prepayments made under this Contract are subject to the below Cancellation Fee Schedule, regardless of cause, including but not limited to reasons related to room or roommate assignment. The Contract also does not determine final admission of the Student to the University. Assignment to on-campus housing is contingent upon the University's final acceptance of the Student for admission, approval of the Contract by the Executive Director of Residential Services ("Director") or their designee and receipt of full payment. If the rate for space, as assigned, varies from the payment made, an additional charge or refund, as the case may be, will be made to the Student. Facilities may vary slightly from descriptions in brochures or from model rooms or apartments. No discounts in rental rates will be made for such variations. The University reserves the right to reassign Student at any time during the contract period for any reason, including but not limited to space availability.
The terms, conditions, and responsibilities are stated below:
1. I understand that the term of this contract is for the forthcoming entire Northwestern University academic year (Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters, excluding Summer quarter) after the signature date of this contract, excluding the winter vacation period. I agree to vacate my room at the specified time on the scheduled beginning date of each such vacation period and within 24 hours of my last final examination in June, or if I am a graduating senior, I agree to vacate my room by 6:00 P.M. of Commencement Day, June 20, 2014. I understand that unless formally released from this contract by the appropriate housing office (see Residence Hall Rules and Regulations, Release from Contract), I am responsible for the room rental charges set forth in the below Cancellation Fee Schedule.
2. I understand that I am also required, as a condition of living in on-campus student housing, to purchase an on-campus board (meal) plan. There are several different board plans from which to choose, depending upon my individual needs. The default board plan provided as part of the residence and board contract is for 14-meals per week. Additional information on the mandatory board (meal) plan is available on the Northwestern Dining website or by calling (847) 491-2020.
3. I understand that to be eligible for residence, I must be enrolled at Northwestern University as a full-time degree candidate or as a special student; and that if such enrollment is terminated for any reason, I am no longer eligible for residence in the premises, I am responsible to advise the Department of Residential Services immediately of such change in status, and I agree to vacate my room within 24 hours of such termination. I agree that I will not occupy nor reside in any space other than my assigned room except that I may have customary use of the common areas. I understand that this contract is not assignable, that subletting is not allowed, and that only the persons assigned by the Department of Residential Services may reside in my room at any time. I further agree that I may not have any overnight guest staying in my room without approval of all my roommates. I further agree that I will not unreasonably interfere with my roommates' or any other resident's rights under similar residence hall contract.
4. I understand that no animal of any kind is permitted in the residence hall at any time; I agree that I will not bring in or keep any animal in any area of the residence hall and that I will not permit any guest or visitor of mine to do so.
5. I understand that maintenance fee charges are required of all residents of the residence hall to which I am assigned. Any social dues are optional, becoming due and payable unless the resident takes appropriate action to opt out of such charges in accordance with the method determined by student government with the cooperation of the housing office.
6. I understand that I am responsible for the care and safety of my personal property and that Northwestern University will not be responsible for any loss by fire, theft, or other casualty.
7. I agree that bills for each quarter are due in advance, in accordance with deadlines stated in the University calendar. If I do not receive a bill by one week prior to the appropriate deadline, I must contact the student finance office to ascertain the amount due. I understand that refunds of any prepayments made under this Contract are subject to the below Cancellation Fee Schedule, regardless of cause, including but not limited to reasons related to room or roommate assignment.
8. CONDITION OF PREMISES: I agree to accept and maintain the unit in its fully furnished condition throughout the duration on this contract. All furnishings, fixtures and equipment are to be kept in clean, sanitary and working order. I shall return the premises in as good repair as when possession was taken, ordinary wear and tear excepted. If the premises are discovered to be in poor sanitary condition, in a manner that could lead to an unhealthy or unsafe environment for a suitemate or surrounding residents, I will be required to make the necessary changes and cleaning to the apartment at my expense. These changes must be later approved by the on-site maintenance supervisor. If I fail to make these changes within a reasonable amount of time, housekeeping services will be provided to perform the necessary cleaning. I shall then be responsible for the payment of the housekeeping fees. I am at no time permitted to change the paint color of my room or make any physical alterations to the unit. Such action shallresult in my being financially responsible for the work required to restore the unit to its original condition.
9. MAINTENANCE REPAIRS: Repairs necessitated by my negligence or that of my guests will be made by the University. Any such costs will be chargeable to me upon written notice from the University and shall be payable no later than the due date of the next installment of room charges following such notice. The University reserves the right to bill me up to 60 days after my departure from the premises for any damages caused by me or my guests.
10. HEATING AND WATER: The University shall furnish hot and cold water in fixtures provided by the University for that purpose and a reasonable amount ofheat, except when prevented from so doing by causes beyond the control of the University or when the apparatus providing water or heat is being repaired.
11. RESIDENT PROPERTY: The University reserves the right to restrict the use of my furniture or other items if such use necessitates the removal of any of the University’s property from the unit or if such furniture or other items is a health or safety hazard or interferes with the provision of services to other residents of the building. Where my personal property is left on the premises for more than 30 days after I vacate upon expiration or termination of the contract, the University shall have the right, at its sole option and without further notice, to either (a) dispose of such property, or (b) charge a reasonable storage charge for any such property. Washers, dryers, dishwashers, ceiling fans, space heaters, large appliances, treadmills, either electrically or battery-operated or any other items that are considered by the University to be a safety or health hazard, are not permitted.
12. ACCESS TO PREMISES: The University through its proper representatives shall have free access at all reasonable hours to the premises for the purpose of insuring compliance with all laws, University regulations, and examining the residence for cleanliness and upkeep, or making alterations and repairs, as well as for the purpose of exhibiting the residency to prospective residents. The University agrees to make every effort, when practical to inform me in advance of any entry and examination; it being understood that nothing shall hinder the University’s right to enter the residence during an emergency to protect life and property from imminent injury or to enter the premises to save me from serious inconvenience. Within 30 days of my move-out date, I agree to permit the on-site maintenance staff to make a pre-move-out inspection of the unit.
13. LIABILITY: The University does not assume any liability for the loss, damage or theft of any personal property; if protection from the possibility of such loss is desired, I should cover my own possessions with appropriate insurance. Further, I hereby release and hold the University harmless for any liability to me or anyone claiming through me and the University shall not be legally responsible in any respect for any loss or damage which I or anyone claiming through me may sustain by reason of: a) Any strike, lockout, work stoppage, or other disturbances, riot, civil commotion or Act of God affecting me or the demised premises or any resident therein; b) Theft or burglary in or about the premises; c) Fire, water, flood, rain, frost, snow, gas odors or fumes from any source whatever; d) Any injury to any person or damage to any property not caused by the University’s direct negligence.
14. SURRENDER OF THE PREMISES: At the expiration or other termination of this contract, I shall surrender possession of the unit and shall return all keys to the apartment premises to the University’s designated agent. Failure to do so will subject me to an obligation to pay for each day I continue to occupy the apartment.
15. DEFAULT: I shall be considered in default of this contract in the event I am in violation of any term or condition hereof, including but not limited to payment of room charges as provided herein. In the event of such default, the University may, at its sole option, re-enter and repossess the premises or require me to vacate the same not later than 30 days following written notice of default. The University may charge to my account all sums due and may, at its sole option (a) assess as liquidated damages the sum of $75 per day up to 3 consecutive days of the continuation of such default and $100 per day thereafter until the default is correct and (b) bring suit for and collect all damages it sustained because of my default, notwithstanding any re-entry or repossession by the University. No waiver of any breach of any part of this contract agreement shall be a waiver of any succeeding breach.
16. I agree to observe, in my use of the residence hall premises, and to cause my guests to observe, all laws of the United States, state of Illinois, City of Evanston (Evanston campus residences), and all Northwestern University rules and regulations. I acknowledge receipt of a copy of the Residence Hall Rules and Regulations, which are by reference incorporated into and made a part of this contract. I understand that failure to comply with any of the terms of this contract, including such rules and regulations, shall be a default as described above. Upon termination of this Contract for any reason, room charges will become immediately due and payable in accordance with the Cancellation Fee Schedule set forth below.
17. Until all sums due and owing under this contract are fully paid, I understand that I may not register for future course work in the University or receive transcripts, diplomas or degrees.
18. Should any part of this Contract be held invalid or unenforceable or contrary to law, that portion will be construed consistent with applicable law and the remaining portions will remain in full force and effect.
Cancellation Fee Schedule
|On or before Friday, June 6, 2014||
Returning Students: 25% of Fall Quarter room charges ($698 prior to room selection)
Entering Students (freshmen or transfer): Forfeit $200 prepayment
|Saturday, June 7, 2014 through Friday, July 18, 2014||
Returning Students: 50% of Fall Quarter room charges
Entering Students (freshmen or transfer): $1,396
|Saturday, July 19, 2014 through Friday, August 8, 2014||All Students: 75% of Fall Quarter room charges|
|Saturday, August 9, 2014 through Monday, September 15, 2014||All Students: 100% of Fall Quarter room charges|
|Tuesday, September 16, 2014 through the end of the academic year||All Students: 100% of room charges for Term Agreement (full academic year)|