What is NetID Automation?
NetID Automation is a process that automatically creates a Northwestern NetID for a new employee once that employee's hire paperwork has been processed by HR. The newly hired faculty or staff member will have the ability to activate that NetID from their own computer, up to 90 days before their official start date. This early NetID activation allows new hires access to important Northwestern services, including email and Canvas, before arriving on campus.
How are NetIDs created for new employees?
- Paperwork hiring a new employee is sent to Human Resources via one of the following methods:
- Departments submit a Position Data/Appointment Form for a new faculty, graduate student, or affiliate appointment;
- Your HR Staffing Consultant submits paperwork to hire a staff employee; or
- Departments or the Temp Staffing Center submit a Personal Data Form to hire a temporary or work-study student.
- HR processes the paperwork and enters the hire information into FASIS.
- A NetID is automatically generated:
- If the Hire Date is within 90 days, the NetID is generated within 24 hours.
- If the Hire Date is over 90 days, the NetID will be generated when it reaches 90 days from the Hire Date.
- The individual set as the department's NetID Coordinator in FASIS Admin will be notified via email and is responsible for forwarding the NetID message to the new employee.
- The new employee may follow the instructions indicated in the message to activate their NetID from any computer.
For more information regarding NetIDs, visit the Northwestern IT website.
Who is the NetID Coordinator?
- To review your department's NetID Coordinator(s), see the HR DeptID List.
- FASIS Administration users with Admin access may update NetID Coordinators by following these instructions.
For questions related to a NetID or password, contact the NUIT Support Center at:
847-491-HELP (4357) or firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions regarding the NetID Coordinator page in FASIS, contact the FASIS Help Desk at:
847-467-4800 or email@example.com