Changing NU-SHIP Coverage Mid Year

In the middle of the academic year, you can:

  • enroll in NU-SHIP coverage
  • enroll a dependent in NU-SHIP coverage
  • waive your current NU-SHIP coverage, or
  • terminate a dependent’s NU-SHIP coverage

only as a result of a “qualifying life event.” Specific circumstances that may qualify for a change in your insurance enrollment in the middle of the plan year include:

  • loss of existing health insurance coverage (e.g., aging off parents' plan; parent / spouse terminating a job)
  • addition or loss of health insurance coverage as a result of a change in employment
  • change in coverage as a result of marriage / divorce
  • need to add dependent coverage due to birth / adoption of a child
  • recent immigration of a dependent spouse / partner or children

Please note: You must submit a Petition to Add or Waive the NU-SHIP within 31 days of the life-changing event or circumstance noted above.

How Can I Add NU-SHIP Coverage Mid Year?

Once your Petition is approved, your NU-SHIP enrollment will become effective in the quarter in which it was processed.

How Do I Terminate NU-SHIP Coverage Mid Year?

Please note: to terminate NU-SHIP coverage, alternate insurance plans must meet Northwestern's comparable coverage requirements.