What is a Peer Adviser?
Peer Advisers (PAs) serve as mentors for all of our incoming undergraduate students by communicating with new students, leading intentional dialogues, sharing expectations we have of our community members, recognizing and sharing resources, and supporting students beginning in the Summer through the end of the first year at Northwestern.
Peer advisers’ responsibilities include:
- Identifying diversity of transition experience among incoming students in order to mentor them through their first year
- Facilitating dialogues about Diversity & Inclusion, Mental Health/Wellness, Alcohol, Sexual Health & Consent, and Navigating Academics through the end of the first year
- Acclimating students to physical campus
- Assisting new students with course selections/registration
- Introducing new students to Northwestern traditions
- Connecting a group of new students to each other and the Northwestern community
Peer Advisers represent the diverse Northwestern community. We are looking for first,second, and third year students with varying levels of NU involvement, and a wide range of personalities and backgrounds.
McCormick Peer Advisers will also instruct a First Year Experience seminar during the fall and winter quarters.
Please make sure you read the Important Dates for PA Applicants to fully ensure you understand the requirements prior to applying.
Characteristics Found in Successful Peer Advisers
- Open-mindedness to learn more about ones’ personal & social identities in order to mentor and facilitate conversation for those who are similar and/or different from themselves
- Open-mindedness toward cultures, ethnicities, lifestyles, and backgrounds
- Passion for Wildcat Welcome, Northwestern University, and new student needs
- Desire to serve as a role model and mentor
- Desire to create an inclusive campus community
- Understanding of self-efficacy and how to advocate for self and others
- Positive attitude
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to be spirited and enthusiastic