Maintenance and Housekeeping

Maintenance Requests

In general, university personnel are available to provide service for anything that is university-owned. If you need service in your room or in a common room of your building, and for any routine maintenance work (non-working lights, clogged sinks or toilets, heating concerns, etc.), submit a maintenance request online. To enter a maintenance request, visit the NU Housing Portal.

For any access (key, FOB, WildCARD) issues, please go to your neighborhood desk as School Dude requests for these issues are not accepted.

Please note: In order for requests to be handled in a timely manner, Facilities Management or Housekeeping personnel may be required to access rooms or apartments when residents are not home. Facilities Management or Housekeeping personnel will always knock and announce their presence before entering any resident room or apartment.

Emergency Situations

If there is an emergency situation during business hours (Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.), call Residential Services at (847) 491-5101. If it is after hours, contact your Resident Assistant on Duty. Examples of emergency situations include fire, flood, electrical, natural gas odor, extreme temperature, etc.


We have a housekeeping staff to maintain the common areas of the Residence Halls. The housekeeping office is located in the Foster-Walker Complex (1927 Orrington Avenue). Housekeeping office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.