Northwestern Policy Regarding Health Insurance
Health insurance coverage is mandatory for all degree-seeking students. You can fulfill the insurance requirement by:
- confirming your NU-SHIP enrollment, or
- waiving enrollment by affirming alternate insurance that meets NU’s comparable coverage requirements. Click here to evaluate if your insurance meets these requirements.
Open Enrollment and Deadlines
Please note that:
- Unless you waive the NU-SHIP during the open enrollment period*, you will remain enrolled in the NU-SHIP, and you will be charged the annual premium of $3,799 on your student account, for coverage for the 2016-2017 plan year (Sept. 1, 2016 – Aug. 31, 2017).
- You must complete the enrollment/waiver process each year to ensure you have accurate and up-to-date insurance information on file with Northwestern.
- After the enrollment period, your insurance selection will remain on file through Aug. 31, 2017 (unless you experience a qualifying life event necessitating a mid-year change).
- Dependents are not automatically enrolled in the NU-SHIP; you must contact Aetna Student Health directly, prior to the enrollment deadline, to add them to your coverage each year.
*If you are approved to register for classes after the insurance enrollment deadline, you must submit a manual Coverage Selection Form to the Student Health Insurance office within 10 days of your course registration. Failure to do so will result in your remaining enrolled in the NU-SHIP for the entire (or remainder of the) academic year. A downloadable Coverage Selection Form will be available when the online enrollment period has closed.