The Office of the Provost has representation on a number of committees reaching across the University to bring together faculty, staff, students, and members of the community in a collaborative process on a wide variety of topics, initiatives, and programs.
- Assessment and Accreditation Council: Northwestern University has reconvened the assessment and accreditation council to develop a framework for the assessment of undergraduate education. The Council, reporting to the Provost, will follow-up on the university’s last accreditation visit in order to look more comprehensively at assessment.
- Classroom Committee: The Classroom Committee was established by the Provost in January 2000 and charged with evaluating classroom use and quality, and recommending to the Provost and the Deans policies on classroom utilization, scheduling, physical improvements and priorities for assignment.
- Committee on Honorary Degrees: Each year, Honorary Degrees are awarded to a number of men and women of exceptional accomplishment. The faculty Committee on Honorary Degrees seeks nominations every spring and encourages submissions representing diverse disciplines and individuals.
- Council of Deans: The Council of Deans, chaired by the Provost, meets to discuss issues and policies that affect the administrative and academic operations of the University’s schools.
- Faculty Distance Learning Workgroup: The Faculty Distance Learning Workgroup advises the Provost on issues related to the development and implementation of distance learning opportunities at the University.
- John Evans Study Committee: Established by the Provost in 2013, this committee will review and report on the history of John Evans, one of the founders of Northwestern University.
- Policy Review Committee: The Northwestern Policy Review Committee is a standing committee of the University. Its role is to review, help ensure that new or revised University policies follow an approved format and process, and are approved by the respective University Officer.
- Undergraduate Council: Chaired by the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education, the Undergraduate Council is a group of School and university unit representatives that advises on undergraduate initiatives and planning.
- University Diversity Council: The Assistant Provost for Diversity and Inclusion chairs the University Diversity Council (UDC). This Council continues the work of the former Faculty Diversity Committee, but with a broader scope to address a wide range of diversity and inclusion-related issues across the entire university.
- University Teaching Awards Committee: Each year, Northwestern University recognizes individual faculty members who have consistently demonstrated outstanding performance in classroom teaching, or who have developed significant innovations that have also influenced the methods and teaching effectiveness of other faculty. Recipients of these University Teaching Awards are honored in a ceremony held in late spring quarter.