Parent and Family Orientation
- Frequently Asked Questions about Orientation
- Getting Here
- Meet the Family Ambassadors (students that will be around to work with you during Parent and Family Orientation)
Parent and Family Orientation occurs concurrently with the new student orientation schedule; there are notes made throughout this schedule to let you know what your student will be doing at that time. Your student will be participating in a structured orientation schedule (Wildcat Welcome) beginning the morning of Tuesday, September 17; he/she will be focusing on becoming oriented to campus, academics, new friends, and resources from September 17-September 23.
|11 a.m.-5 p.m.||If student arrives on campus early, they can visit the WildCARD Office in the Norris Center to pickup their student I.D.
There will also be time throughout Wildcat Welcome for students to get their I.D. cards
|8 a.m. - 4 p.m.||New students move into the residence halls|
|1 p.m. - 2 p.m. OR
|Residential College Master's Reception
For the family members of Residential College residents only; Optional
|5 p.m. - 8 p.m.||President's Welcome and Reception for Family Members
Please note that new students will be in residence hall meetings and activities beginning at 5 p.m. for much of the evening
|9 a.m. - 10 a.m.||March Through the Arch
Cheer for Northwestern's new students during the ceremonial march through the Weber Arch with their Peer Adviser (PA) groups which is followed by a class photo. This tradition is the kick-off event for Wildcat Welcome; many family members decide to remain on campus and view this event.
|10 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.||Kiss'n'Bye
This pause in scheduling allows for family members and students to say goodbye to one another before separate programming begins for Parent and Family Orientation and the student orientation schedule.
Note that students will be leaving campus at this time for an event in Chicago and will not return until 7 p.m.
|11 a.m. - 12 p.m.||Academic School Orientation for Family Members
Family members will attend a session hosted by the school/college of which their son/daughter is a student.
|12 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.||Family Member Lunch on Own|
|1:30 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.||
Welcome to the Family: Northwestern & Parents as Partners for SuccessPresented by Todd Adams, Dean of Students
|2:30 p.m. - 5 p.m.||
Parent and Family Resource Fair
|2:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.||
Information Sessions for Family Members: Round 1
|3:30 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.||
Information Sessions for Family Members: Round 2
|4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.||
Undergraduate Student Panel for Family Members
Parent and Family Orientation Conclude
- As a parent, when should I leave?
- Parents decide to leave in two different waves. Most will stay to participate in the President's Welcome/Reception on Monday evening and March Through the Arch on Tuesday morning. Kiss'n'Bye will, most likely, be the final time you are able to see your student as their Wildcat Welcome schedule is packed! Many families decide to leave at this time.
- If parents do not leave right after March Through the Arch, they will stay for the fantastic programming offered throughout the day to learn about Northwestern from the parent side rather than just from an Admission view (i.e. campus tours). The last session ends at 5:30 p.m. so family members will decide to begin traveling back home at that point (if they are close by).
- Do I participate in orientation events with my student?
- The student and parent schedules are concurent; there are no joint sessions that occur. Though parents attend March Through the Arch, students are with their Peer Adviser groups while the parents stand to the sides to cheer on the new students.
- When do I see my student if they are participating in a Pre-Wildcat Welcome Program?
- Most students will unite with family members the morning of move-in day.
- We are traveling a great distance, how do we get our items to campus for the residence hall room?
- If families are not driving or flying out their items, they will decide to ship items to campus in advance. If you choose to do this, you should schedule your packages to arrive no earlier than September 13, 2013; you will then be able to pick-up your packages on move-in day (September 16, 2013). Addresses to campus residences can be found on the Residential Services website (select the appropriate building from the drop down menu and then select the "Mailing Address" tab).