Apply to be a Peer Adviser
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED!
How to apply to be a Peer Adviser
- Attend one of the mandatory Call Out sessions
- Complete the PA application by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, February 18
- Review the list of important dates for 2013 to ensure you are available; contact us with questions
- Applicants will be notified whether they will move to the interview portion by noon on Friday, February 22
- Interviews will be held between February 23 - March 6
- Final selections for the 2013 Peer Adviser positions will be announced by 5 p.m. on Friday, March 15
- Questions? Contact us at email@example.com
- Past PAs: Your info is at the bottom of this page!
Even if you are unsure whether you want to apply to be a PA, come visit a Call Out Session. You'll learn a bit more about the PA position, updates for this year, and a bit of insight into the application (hey, we may even answer a question or two!). Applications are not considered complete until you attend a Call Out session. We encourage you to attend a session prior to completing your application. Please note the last session will be held on Friday, February 15 while the deadline for applications is Monday, February 18.
- Tuesday, February 5: 7-8 p.m. (Harris 107)
- Thursday, February 7: 5-6 p.m. (Tech LR3)
- Monday, February 11: 8-9 p.m. (Harris 107)
- Wednesday, February 13: 6-7 p.m. (Harris 107)
- Friday, February 15: 4-5 p.m. (Tech LR2)
Don't let the application stress you out, but we do encourage students to take time crafting and creating their application. We rely heavily on the content of your application to get a snapshot (not Snapchat..that is a completely different thing) of who you are; this helps us decide who we want to learn more about for our interview process.
- The app includes four essay questions. We suggest writing your answer in word and pasting it into the application. The four questions are:
- Why do you want to be a 2013 Peer Adviser and why is it an important position? (Max. 250 words)
- What are the three pieces of advice you wish you had known going into your first year at NU? (Max. 250 words)
- How would you work to serve as a mentor and person of support for your group of new students after Wildcat Welcome and throughout the first year? Why is this important? (Max. 500 words)
- All student leaders within the Wildcat Welcome (WW) program are asked to sign an alcohol contract stating they will abstain from drinking alcohol (regardless of age) during the entire WW program. In using sound judgment, leaders are allowed to be in the presence of alcohol but to remain a positive WW role model. Please explain what you believe to be the importance of the alcohol contract as a Wildcat Welcome Peer Adviser. (Max. 300 words)
- A video must also be included in your application. Why? So we can get a better idea of who you are and why you want to be a PA. A few tips:
- Make sure the video answers the question: Why would you be a great PA?
- Length: 30-60 seconds
- Do not let the video stress you out. Formats for applicants in past years have ranged from an edited video around campus to simply sitting in front of the webcam. All are great! Just make sure you answer the question and show us who YOU are.
- Don't have a video camera on your computer or phone? You can check one out from NUIT!
- Contact us if you have questions or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The application asks you to select three potential interview times. If you are selected to move to the interview portion, you could be assigned to any of the three times you choose, so please select carefully (there will be no switching). Your application will not be considered complete if you do not select three different times.
- Your application must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. CST on Monday, February 18, 2013. No late or incomplete applications will be accepted.
A select number of applicants will move to the interview portion of the Peer Adviser selection process, so please take time creating your application. The application calls for you to select three different interview times you are available for; you could be placed into any of those three choices so please select carefully (no switching will be allowed so keep your three selected times open in your calendar). The interview times are:
- Saturday, February 23: 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Saturday, February 23: 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, February 27: 6 - 9 p.m.
- Thursday, February 28: 6 - 9 p.m.
- Friday, March 1: 4 - 7 p.m.
- Saturday, March 2: 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Saturday, March 2: 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.
- Sunday, March 3: 2 - 5 p.m.
- Sunday, March 3: 6:30 - 9:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 5: 6 - 9 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 6: 6:30 - 9:30 p.m.
Interviews will last the complete three hours; plan to arrive early as we will begin promptly and no latecomers will be allowed entry. We like to have a good time, so be prepared to have fun. We suggest you arrive dressed for an interview (however you define that). Applicants will be notified whether they will move to the interview portion of the process by noon on Friday, February 22.
Hi past Peer Advisers! So, you had a great time your first go 'round? Your application process will look a little bit different.
- Attend the Call Out for Past PAs Only on Friday, February 8 from 4-4:30 p.m. in Harris L07
- Complete the application by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, February 18; make sure you indicate you are a past PA at the top of the application
- Yep, you get to create another great video (30-60 seconds)!
- Four essay questions:
- Why do you want to return to be a Peer Adviser for 2013? (Max. 250 words)
- What are three pieces of advice you would give to a new PA? (Max. 250 words)
- What is one aspect of the Peer Adviser role that you believe to have fulfilled exceptionally in the past and another aspect that you would hope to improve as a returner? (Max. 500 words)
- A new PA asks why the alcohol policy is being stressed and if it is actually important. How would you respond? (Max. 300 words)
- Every applicant who has previously served as a PA will select an indivudal interview time in the application. The time you select is the time of your interview, so write it down in your calendar! All interviews will take place in the NSFP office located at 600 Haven (Seabury).
- Applicants will be notified of final selection for the 2013 Peer Adviser position by 5 p.m. on Friday, March 15.