Miscellaneous FAQs

What do I need to know about meal plans?

Information about meal plans will be available later this summer. You can find out more information regarding dining on campus on the Dining Services web site. All freshmen living in on-campus housing have a 14-meal-a-week meal plan to start with, to insure that they can access the Dining halls immediately.

Will you be mailing my housing contract to me?

The housing contract is electronic, and the link to it is sent to you via your Northwestern email account. You sign it by entering your Student ID number where prompted on the contract, and clicking the submit button.

Where can I store my bike?
Students are prohibited from storing their bikes in their room.  A few residence halls or residential colleges have a bike room.  All buildings have ample outdoor bike racks. We also offer a bike storage program, where we will store a limited number of bikes during winter quarter.
I'm a freshman. How do I register for Career Cat if I don't know my GPA yet?
You can enter a fake GPA for now, then when you get your grades later in the month, you can adjust your GPA on your account.
I need to know when the halls open and close before and after each quarter in order to book my plane ticket. Where can I find that information?
Check the housing dates for information about opening and closing.
Can I stay in my room over Winter and Spring Break?

All students may stay in their room over Spring Break.

Winter Break Housing will be available only to International students assigned to Foster-Walker Houses 5-8. International students must indicate on their Housing Contract that they need Winter Break housing and will be assigned to a space in the Foster-Walker complex (Houses 5-8) for the academic year. If you are not an International student, your belongings can stay in your room, but you need to find another place to stay over Winter Break.

Undergraduate residence halls will close at 12:00 noon on Saturday, December 13, 2014, and reopen at noon on Saturday, January 3, 2015. Winter Break Housing is available Friday, December 12- Friday, January 2, 2015. Residents who participate in Winter Break Housing will be charged extra for housing and meal plan service. This charge will be placed on your student account. 

Can I stay in my room over Thanksgiving Break?
Yes, you can stay in your residence hall or residential college over Thanksgiving Break.
What size are the mattresses?
All mattresses on campus are 36" by 80". They are sometimes referred to as "twin extra-long" mattresses. Please refer to our list of things to bring for information on a program that the Residential Housing Association coordinates to help students find the right linens.