Plan Your Learning
The Office of Learning & Talent Management within Human Resources encourages all staff members and managers to create a learning plan either for yourself and/or your team. To make this easy, remote learning options are presented below, and include virtual training, select on-demand learning, as well as vetted external and internal videos, documents, websites. And to make more learning accessible to all, courses that previously required fees are offered to the community at no cost.
In addition, you can browse the full LinkedIn Learning catalog for even more on-demand learning, all available at no cost to Northwestern students, faculty, and staff. You and your teams may also identify learning interests specific to your functional area or academic discipline, which could take the form of books, articles, videos, and other materials. Here are resources to help you plan, conduct, and reflect on your and your team’s professional development.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Playlists
- Increase self-awareness, embrace the creative power of difference, and empower your team and department to deepen their engagement.
- Follow the sequence suggested, or pursue your interests and navigate back and forth between the modules.
- Explore the science of implicit bias, grow in cultural competence, and join a discussion of anti-racism in practice.
- Start anytime — no enrollment and no cost.
Unconscious Bias Workshop
This interactive workshop is a part of our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion learning journey and is designed to raise your awareness about biases that exist in our daily interactions. You will be asked to participate in exercises that explore our biases and where they came from as well as an understanding of how to be more aware of them through an assessment and best practices discussion.
You will leave this workshop with:
- An increase awareness of unconscious biases – what they are and why we all have them
- An exploration of individual social identities & how that relates to bias
- Learn how to identify how biases impact individual thoughts & actions
- Learn how to identify how biases impact our work & the Northwestern community at large
- Learn & use practices to mitigate the negative impacts of bias
Office of Equity Workshops
The Office of Equity offers a variety of informational sessions, trainings, and workshops designed to inform students, staff, faculty, and visitors about their rights and responsibilities as members of the Northwestern community, and to equip community members with the tools to create a vibrant, equitable, and accessible learning environment for all.
All trainings are customized for your specific department or group, and training facilitators will meet department/group leaders prior to the training to gather background information, answer questions, and discuss logistics. Please click here to request a training and explore the Office of Equity website to explore training offerings .
Searle Center for Learning & Teaching
The backgrounds, experiences, and worldviews of the students, faculty, and staff at Northwestern University are becoming increasingly diverse, reflecting the shift in sociodemographics in the broader society. The Searle Center for Advancing Learning and Teaching supports university-wide diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives, particularly those that relate to cultivating inclusive learning environments in which students from all backgrounds can succeed.
They provide information and resources that are useful in helping faculty, instructors, and teaching assistants to develop and create an inclusive learning environment that acknowledge and foster inclusion within the Northwestern community.
The Searle Center provides the following resources for training and education:
- Consultation: Email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a consultation with Omari Keeles, Assistant Director for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Roundtable Sessions: The series is a set of 3 one-hour sessions that will bring together a faculty cohort to discuss topics related to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in teaching and learning in virtual learning environments
- Key Concepts Guide: The Searle Center provides definitions of key terms and concepts related to a variety of social identities, creating inclusive learning environments, and mentoring.