Northwestern University Family Advisory Council (NUFAC)
The Northwestern University Family Advisory Council (NUFAC) fosters student success and enhances the campus community by actively engaging the parents and families of undergraduate students in providing feedback, support, and counsel throughout the academic year to the Offices of the Dean of Students and New Student and Family Programs (NSFP).
The goals of the Family Advisory Council are to:
- Provide feedback regarding Dean of Students and NSFP strategic planning for new and existing initiatives.
- Serve as Northwestern ambassadors for the parents and family members of undergraduate students.
- Establish an ongoing forum for building and maintaining a strong bond with the University.
About the Council
NUFAC brings together dedicated parent and family volunteers who serve as ambassadors for Northwestern University and provide feedback to the Office of the Dean of Students and New Student and Family Programs on issues of particular interest to parents and families. NUFAC meets two times each year (Fall Quarter during Family Weekend & Spring Quarter) to discuss current topics affecting the University and its constituents, offer feedback regarding NSFP programming, and participate in broadening and deepening relationships in support of the University. While expected to attend all meetings, NUFAC members must attend at least one meeting in person per year.
NUFAC is comprised of approximately 25 parent and family members of current undergraduate students representing a diverse spectrum of students’ degree programs, academic/class standing and family backgrounds and experiences. NUFAC is appointed by the Dean of Students and the Director of New Student and Family Programs. Appointed members will remain part of NUFAC until their student’s graduation from Northwestern or until the NUFAC member and/or the Dean of Students Office deems it necessary for the member to step down. Vacancies will be filled as they become available.
Costs associated with meals and materials for the bi-annual meetings are included. Generally, individual travel and lodging are not reimbursed; however, support may be available based on need.
Join the Council
The Offices of the Dean of Students and New Student and Family Programs appreciate your interest in NUFAC. The NUFAC application for Parents and Families of the Class of 2023 is now closed.
When applying for NUFAC, please be prepared to answer the following questions:
- Please tell us about your interest in joining the Northwestern University Family Advisory Council (NUFAC) and what you feel you will bring to the group.
- Some prevalent challenges currently facing higher education and undergraduate students include: Intercultural competency and diversity, Title IX and sexual misconduct on campus, student wellness and mental health issues, post-graduation planning, and student support services. Please share your thoughts about one of the above topics or a different topic you feel is important in the context of higher education.
- What do you see as the role of parents and family members in supporting and enhancing their college student's experience?
- Is there anything else you would like to share with us? (comments, suggestions, observations...)