Visa Services for Students

The Office of International Student and Scholar Services (OISS) assists international students and their families with the process of acquiring and maintaining nonimmigrant visa status. 

New students

The first step for any newly admitted student is to learn about the student visa options and the visa application process. Below, you can find the step-by-step instructions for entire procedure, from completing initial application forms to entry into the United States.

Family and dependents of international students

An F-1 or J-1 student can bring his or her spouse and children to the United States; they will be classified as F-2 or J-2 dependents. Like new students, dependents will need to apply for dependent visa status, which carries certain requirements and restrictions.

Current students

Maintaining visa status requires students to comply with a variety of federal regulations, which are explained here. Visas and immigration records may also need to be changed if you take a break in your studies, require an extension, or lose immigration status due to a violation.