NUBAA Commemoration Events
Bursar Commemoration Schedule, May 3-4
Please see the full program for NUBAA Commemoration events, May 3-4 or visit the NUBAA website.
Thursday, May 3rd
- 10:00 am Check-In | Norris University Center
Start the festivities with goodies. Registered attendees pick up your souvenir program
and name tag, commemorative memorabilia, special orders swag bag and more.
- 11:00 am Campus Walking & Riding Tour | TBA
Remember “The Shack”….A lot has changed in the past 50 years. Recall old favorites
and explore the University’s new and updated spaces on a specially designed tour
highlighting the presence of African-Americans on campus.
- 12:00 pm Welcome Luncheon | Norris University Center
Registered participants reconnect and get energized for the day ahead over a
- 1:00 pm COMMEMORATION SHOWCASE | Norris University Center, Auditorium
Living the Legacy - From Protest to Progress Symposium
Hear from those who lived it - a student participant and a negotiator from the Bursar’s
Office Takeover, John Bracey and Kathryn Ogletree along with the current NUBAA
president Jeffrey Sterling and NU president Morton Schapiro through a discussion of
the requests and outcomes of the 1968 Agreement.
- 2:30 pm Processional - “Let’s All Go to The Rock” | Steps Off at Main Library Patio
Calling all Black: student organizations, fraternities, sororities, athletes, band
members, national alumni clubs and others. Get attired in your group colors/gear and
show your purple pride in a procession through The Arch and locations significant to
the Black student and alumni experience on campus.
- 3:00 pm Bursar’s Vigil | Office of Treasury Operations (Bursar’s Office)
Journey to the cornerstone of the movement – the Bursar’s Office. Take a moment to
read a newly installed plaque describing a seminal event in NU Black history.
- 3:15 pm Rebecca Crown Ceremony | Rebecca Crown Pavilion
Join in a multi-media broadcast event at the center of NU administration to celebrate
the efforts and resolution of The Takeover.
- 3.45 pm Black House Groundbreaking | The Black House
Witness University officials and alumni break ground on a 21st- century and beyond
transformation to The Black House. Be sure to go inside for a surprise peak of what’s to
- 4:00 pm Unveiling of 50th Anniversary Commemorative | The Black House
Get your spot and watch in anticipation as a permanent memorial recognizing the
courageous participants of The Takeover is revealed.
- 6:00 pm Reception to Honor Black Athletes | Welsh-Ryan Arena, Wildcat Café
All are encouraged to gather with notable athletic alumni and the Athletic Department
to highlight the contributions and accomplishments of NU black athletes.
Friday, May 4th
- 9:00 am Musical Tribute | Alice Millar Chapel
Black alumni that have toured and played with musical greats and have distinguished
themselves in their field will showcase their talent along with highly regarding student
- 9:30 am Theatrical Performance | Alice Millar Chapel
Feel the raw emotion of the The Bursar’s Takeover as retold by current students.
Produced by the Department of African-American Studies.
- 10:15 am Voices and Visions: The Evolution of The Black Experience at Northwestern
University | Alice Millar Chapel
Hear first-hand and ask questions from the actual organizers, leaders and participants
of the The Takeover as well as those that continue to carry the torch.
- 12:00 pm NUBAA 50 Luncheon | Norris University Center, Louis Room
Gather for a lunch to recognize the faculty, staff, NU organizational leaders and
community friends that have shaped and supported NUBAA over the past 50 years.
- 2:30 pm Depart to Summit Hotel | Orrington Hotel
Board transportation to the Swissotel Chicago.