Policies & Reimbursements
This page provides links to Northwestern's travel-related policies and guidelines and the expense reimbursement process for travel expenses that were not directly billed to a department/unit chart string.
- Northwestern's Travel, Entertainment & Courtesy policy outlines the University's travel policies. To learn more, see the following specific sections of the document: University Travel Policy, Travel Expense Procedures, and Travel for Non-University Personnel.
- Hotels: The above policy states: "Travelers must book standard accommodations in reasonably priced, commercial-class hotels and motels." Please see Hotel Rates References below for additional guidelines.
- International Travel Policies for faculty and staff are outlined on Northwestern's Global Safety and Security website.
- Policies for Sponsored Travel are outlined on the Office of Accounting Services for Research and Sponsored Programs (ASRSP) website.
To be reimbursed for qualifying travel expenses, the appropriate expense report form(s) need to be completed.
Employee expense reports are filed from the NUFinancials application, which you can reach from the NUPortal. The Employee Expense Reimbursements curriculum on myHR Learn describes how to create an expense report.
- Visitor's Expense Report: This form is used by visitors to Northwestern and the hosting department/school.
- Expense Policy Exception Request: This form is used by faculty/staff if any expense submitted for reimbursement is not in accordance with University policy.
- Ground Transportation Reimbursement: Reimbursement rates for eligible ground transportation mileage: $0.58 /mile, effective Jan. 1, 2019.
As stated in Northwestern's Travel, Entertainment & Courtesy policy, Business Travel News publishes annual lists of average negotiated hotel rates:
These lists are provided for reference for Northwestern travelers. Note the rates shown in these lists are averages of corporate negotiated rates collected by BCD Travel. As such, these rates may differ from those available to Northwestern faculty and staff.
Business Travel Accident Insurance
Note that Northwestern offers business travel accident insurance that provides faculty and staff with accidental death & dismemberment benefits while on a business trip for Northwestern University. Visit the Risk Management website for additional information.