Student Organization Conduct Status Report
Student Organizations on Formal Disciplinary Status
Northwestern University expects its student organizations to "exemplify Northwestern's community principles and values" and "engage in socially responsible behavior." The Student Code of Conduct also outlines the prohibited conduct for students, groups of students, and student organizations. Violations of these rules can subject a group or organization to sanctions.
Below is a list of student organizations and/or University-sponsored groups that, as a result of violating University rules and regulations or accepting responsibility for organizational misconduct, have been placed on a formal disciplinary status. (Individual students' records are protected by federal law and University policy.)
Please keep in mind: Only organizations that are subject to the sanctions outlined below are included on this list, and groups and organizations listed here may have been assigned other sanctions or requirements in addition to those outlined below. Additionally, groups are not added to this list until conduct matters become final; therefore, groups with pending conduct matters are not listed here. In the event a group has engaged in multiple incidents, only the most current sanctions are included on this list. The list itself will be updated at the end of each quarter or as otherwise necessary.
- Exclusion: A status in which a student organization is deprived of all affiliation with Northwestern University and will no longer be recognized by the University, remain affiliated with the University, or participate in any function or event sponsored by the University or any of its departments, groups, or organizations. Members of organziations that were excluded may not meet as an organization, recruit or induct new members, sponsor activities or events, recolonize or reform as a different group, or join en masse another organization.
- Suspension: A status in which a student organization is deprived of affiliating with or being recognized by the Unviersity for a period of time. Suspension may also include the impositions of conditions before recognition would be allowed. Members of organziations that are suspended may not meet as an organization, recruit or induct new members, sponsor activities or events, recolonize or reform as a different group, or join en masse another organization.
- Deferred Suspension: A status in which a student organization is given a specific period of time to demonstrate the ability to abide by community standards and expectations or face an immediate suspension of a designated period of time. Suspensions may also be deferred pending adherence to or completion of specific additional conditions or requirements. If a student organization on deferred suspension is found in violation of any act of misconduct (or otherwise fails to comply with specified conditions or requirements), the originally defined suspension takes effect immediately without further review. Additional student conduct sanctions appropriate to any new act of misconduct may also be taken.
- Disicplinary Probation: A status, imposed for a specific period of time, to allow a student organization and its members to reflect upon their choices and behavior and to demonstrate the ability to abide by community standards and expectations. Any violations committed during the period of probation may result in more serious sanctions, including suspension for a minimum of one academic quarter.
- Social Probation/Restriction: A status, imposed for a specific period of time, in which student organizations are barred from or limited in engaging in, participating in, hosting, or sponsoring social events (formal or informal) or other non-academic activities. The purpose of social probation is to allow student organizations and their members to reflect on creating and sustaining socially responsible environments and behaviors and to demonstrate the ability to abide by community standards and expectations. The precise parameters of social probation may vary depending on the circumstances and will be specified in writing to the organization (but not specified on this page).
|Beta Theta Pi Fraternity ("Beta")||3/12/2013||
|Chi Psi Fraternity ("Lodge")||2/9/2012||
|Delta Upsilon Fraternity ("DU")||11/5/2012||
|Lambda Phi Epsilon Fraternity ("Lambdas" or "LPhiE")||5/23/2008||
|Northwestern Ski and Snowboard Racing Team||7/6/2012||
|Phi Delta Theta Fraternity ("Phi Delt")||11/13/2012||
|Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity ("Fiji")||10/17/2012||
|Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity ("Phi Psi")||3/30/2012||
|Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity ("Pike")||12/12/13||
|Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity ("Sig Ep")||12/21/2012||