Effective September 1, 2014, the coverage provided by your health insurance plan must meet applicable following criteria in order to waive participation in the NU-sponsored student health insurance plan from Aetna Student Health:
Students may waive the Aetna Student Health Insurance Plan (ASHIP) if the following criteria are met (“policy” and “plan” below refer to the plan the student will use in lieu of the ASHIP):
- The student does not hold an F1 or J1 visa.
- The claims administrator of the plan is based in the United States and has a U.S. telephone number and address for submission of claims and the insurance policy has not been issued outside the U.S.
- The policy is not a traveling policy.
- The plan provides both emergency and non-emergency health care and mental health benefits in the Cook County, Illinois area including Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Northshore University Healthsystem (Evanston Hospital).
- The plan provides inpatient and outpatient mental health care (with at least 40 visits per year) and chemical dependency benefits are comparable to the coverage provided by the ASHIP.
- The plan provides coverage for prescription medication.
Out-of-state Medicaid and state Children’s Health Insurance Plans DO NOT qualify for a waiver.
Please contact your medical insurance carrier to confirm that your insurance covers emergency and non-emergency care at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Northshore University Healthsystem and that you have a deductible small enough to allow you to afford your portion of the bill.
International students holding an F1 or J1 visa may not waive the ASHIP.
If you cannot afford health insurance, you are required to contact the Insurance Office no later than the end of the second week of classes to discuss how to meet the health insurance requirements for students enrolled at Northwestern University by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 847.491.2110.