Study Abroad and Other Options

Internships and Field Studies

Many off-campus field studies, internships, and research opportunities sponsored by various schools and departments are available to Northwestern students. The programs vary greatly: some carry academic credit; some are undertaken in conjunction with a class or seminar; some make provision for a stipend; some entail living away from campus. For more information, contact your student's specific school.

Study Abroad

Northwestern encourages qualified students to study abroad when such study promises to enrich their academic programs. By starting to plan for study abroad early in their Northwestern careers, most students, regardless of school or major, should be able to study abroad and still graduate within four years. Contact the Study Abroad Office .


External fellowships confer an extra measure of distinction on Northwestern students. The most prestigious among these include the Marshall, Rhodes, Fulbright, Luce, and Truman Fellowships. Helped by the Office of Fellowships , students can take advantage of these opportunities and uncover a vast array of other offerings that fund matters as basic as current or graduate studies or as exotic as study and travel overseas. In addition, major fellowships, such as the National Science Foundation and Javits, have underwritten study and research for dozens of Northwestern graduates as they pursue their doctorates in the humanities, social sciences, science, and engineering. A third type of fellowship matches gifted students with policy makers in state and US government and international organizations. Committees charged with identifying individuals who best honor their fellowships' mission look for students whose intellectual curiosity, devotion to community service, and orientation toward global understanding forecast success in high-powered academic, business, or policy settings.

Transfer of Credits

A student who desires to take courses at another educational institution and transfer the credits to Northwestern must receive prior approval. This policy applies to work taken during the summer and the regular academic year. Forms for obtaining approval are available in the dean's office of each school.

Undergraduate Residence Requirement

The Undergraduate Residence Requirement (URR) replaced the Undergraduate Enrollment Requirement as of September 1, 2001. The URR is predicated on the principle that when a student receives a bachelor's degree from Northwestern University, the majority--and certainly the most advanced portion--of his or her academic work is completed on a Northwestern campus as a full-time student under the instruction of Northwestern faculty during the regular academic year. Thus, being "in residence" for a quarter means that the student is enrolled during the fall, winter, or spring quarter at Northwestern, is being taught by or is under the supervision of Northwestern faculty, and completes three or more credits. It includes, for instance, Practicum in the School of Education and Social Policy and Teaching Media in the Medill School of Journalism. It does not include study abroad of any type or co-op in the McCormick School.

The URR applies only to undergraduate students seeking a bachelor's degree and must be completed in addition to the degree requirements established by the various school faculties. Its provisions are complex so for additional information, interpretation or application of the URR, contact the Office of the Registrar.