What is Wildcat Welcome?
Wildcat Welcome is Northwestern's weeklong orientation for all new students (mandatory for both freshmen and transfer students). Wildcat Welcome discusses college transition issues, advising and course registration for your first quarter and provides an opportunity to meet your entire class. We define it as the best week of your first year at Northwestern, but we may be a bit biased!
You can learn more about Parent and Family Orientation here.
Goals of Wildcat Welcome
- To develop events to help first-year students make the transition from high school (or other college) to Northwestern University
- To provide a holistic experience that will help to jumpstart a student's tenure at the University through a diverse offering of programs, activities, and events
- To provide first-year students with resources and campus information to better aid in navigating the University
- To help foster a sense of pride in being a part of the Northwestern community
- To provide first-year students with an upper class mentor (a Peer Adviser) who will serve as an intentional, caring resource and a connection to the University throughout the first year
- To teach first-year students about the history and traditions of Northwestern University
- To inform first-year students about their rights and responsibilities as members of the Northwestern community
- To inform students of their academic responsibilities through school-specific convocations, advising sessions, and course registration
- To provide intentional programs that connect first-year students with peers, upper class students, staff, and faculty
Your Peer Adviser Group
Peer Advisers (PA) are current undergraduate students that work with new students throughout the entire year. Incoming students will receive communication from their PA in July/August and will then meet them at the start of Wildcat Welcome along with the rest of the PA Group, which consists of other new students from the same school/major. Peer Advisers are an extremely valuable resource to new students during Wildcat Welcome and the entire first year. The profiles of the Peer Advisers will be posted on the New Student and Family Programs' Tumblr page throughout the summer months.