For those students planning to take a math course at Northwestern, there are two related online exams to be taken over the summer prior between June 1 and August 1:
ALEKS math skills assessment is required for students planning to take MATH 211, 212, 220, 224, 230, 290, or 291, regardless of their AP scores in math.
Exam link: www.math.northwestern.edu/first_year_focus
Faculty contact: Professor Martina Bode, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: If your ALEKS score is lower than 75, you are strongly encouraged to use the ALEKS tutorial module (for a $30 cost) to sharpen your skills before starting calculus at Northwestern.
Calculus course numbers and titles:
- MATH 211: Short Course in Calculus
- MATH 212: Single-Variable Calculus
- MATH 220: Differential Calculus of One-Variable Functions
- MATH 224: Integral Calculus
- MATH 230: Differential Calculus of Multivariable Functions
- MATH 290: Linear Algebra and Multivariable Calculus
- MATH 291: Intensive Linear Algebra and Multivariable Calculus
Weinberg students may take a math self-placment exam to see whether MATH 220, 224, or 230 might be the appropriate starting course for them; consult the math department website at www.math.northwestern.edu/prospective/placement.html for more information.