In February New Orleans Saints offensive tackle Zach Strief became the fourth consecutive Northwestern player to win a Super Bowl. Starting in 2006, a Northwestern alumnus has been on the active roster of each Super Bowl–winning squad:
- 2006 — Trai Essex (McC05), Pittsburgh Steelers
- 2007 — Matt Ulrich (SESP05), Indianapolis Colts
- 2008 — Barry Cofield (C06), New York Giants
- 2009 — Trai Essex, Steelers
- 2010 — Zach Strief (C06), New Orleans Saints
In April three members of the Wildcats 2009 squad were selected in the 2010 NFL Draft. Defensive end Corey Wootton (C10) and quarterback Mike Kafka (C10) were picked in the fourth round by the Chicago Bears and the Philadelphia Eagles, respectively, while cornerback Sherrick McManis (C10) was selected one round later by the Houston Texans. Overall there are 15 former Wildcats in the NFL.