How to Use the Air Conditioner
- Make sure the windows/doors are closed. The air conditioner runs most effectively when outside air is not getting into the apartment.
- Switch the button at the base of the heater to the “cool” setting.
- Make sure the air conditioner unit is plugged into the outlet in the base of the heater.
- Turn on the air conditioning unit.
- Adjust the temperature by using the thermostat knob on the air conditioning unit.
How to Use the Heater
- Make sure the windows/doors are closed. The upper windowpane may slip down if the windows are not locked, allowing a draft to come in, so make sure both windows are closed.
- Turn on the heater by pressing the “heat” button that is located at the corner of your heating vent in the room.
- Adjust the temperature by using the thermostat on the wall.
If you have any additional questions or concerns please contact the Graduate Housing office or a Community Assistant.
If something in your apartment is broken, damaged, or will not work (e.g., leaking faucet, clogged sink, no cool air from air conditioner, no heat from register), contact the office. We complete a service ticket and the item will be attended to as quickly as possible.
The housekeeping staff does not clean occupied apartments. They will replace bulbs in University supplied fixtures and lamps and conduct minor repairs.
Please contact a Community Assistant during the evenings and weekends if an electrical breaker/fuse blows, a toilet overflows, a window breaks, or for some other serious matter. The staff member will assist you in determining which emergency services are required and contact the necessary personnel for you.
Thank you for your prompt and clear reporting of problems in your apartment. Please understand that some things take longer to fix than others. If a concern is not met within a week, please report the problem again to the Graduate Housing staff. No issue is too small. Please see any of the office staff with your concern!
Helpful Phone Numbers
Engelhart Office: (847) 467-4663
Community Assistant Pager: (847) 491-2011
University Police (Information & Services): (847) 491-3456
University Police (Emergency): 911