washing machines

What is the application deadline?

There are no application deadlines. While it is advisable to submit applications early to ensure you the best chance of securing housing, applications are processed and assignments are made on a first-come, first-served basis.

How is housing assigned? Can I choose my roommate? 

Housing is assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. If you select to stay in a twin studio room, you will be assigned a roommate.

When can I move in? 

When completing your housing application we ask that you tell us when you would like to move-in. Many students with families like to arrive early in September to get their children enrolled in school. Others like to arrive a bit early in order to familiarize themselves with the area.

How close is the building located to campus?

Engelhart Hall is located at 1915 Maple Ave. The main campus is located approximately 4 blocks east of the building, easily accessible on foot or bike. See walking directions to main campus. The Northwestern Shuttle makes several stops each day just south of the building for those who prefer not to walk. The Intercampus shuttle also makes stops in front of the building for residents traveling to the Chicago campus. For more information on getting around, please visit the Northwestern Transportation Services website.

What is included in a furnished apartment? Are kitchen and bath accessories included?

All of the units at Engelhart Hall are fully furnished. This includes a bed and desk in each room. Twin studios and one bedroom singles have a twin size bed. One bedroom apartments have one queen bed. Two bedroom apartments have one queen bed and one twin bed. One bedroom singles, one bedroom, and two bedroom apartments have a bookshelf and a nightstand. One bedroom apartments and two bedroom apartments include living room furniture such as a couch, chair, and dining table with chairs. Although the units are furnished, each resident is responsible for providing kitchen and bath accessories (towels, dishes, silverware, pots, etc.).

When I received my bill, it seems I am paying three or four months rent. Why is that?

We sometimes use monthly rental rates for comparison purposes, however we charge rent by quarterly amounts. The fall quarter is four months long, the winter and spring quarters are three months, and the summer quarter is two months.

Do I get a meal plan? What is included in the rent? Are utilities included? If so, which utilities? 

All utilities (heat, electric, water, cable television) are included in the rent. You would only receive additional charges for any use of the optional land-line phone service. Because all apartments in Graduate Housing come with fully equipped kitchens, no meal plan is included in the housing charges. However, you may purchase a meal plan if you would like. For more information on meal plans, please visit the nuCuisine website or contact the Food Service office at (847) 491-2020.

When will I get my room deposit back?

Your room deposit will be credited to your student accout during the month in which you move in.

Is there public transportation located nearby?

Engelhart Hall is located within a short walk of a multitude of transportation options. The Foster Street stop on the Purple Line elevated train is located half a block north of the building, just across the outdoor parking lot. Chicago Transit Authority and Pace bus stops are within a few blocks in any direction. Metra commuter trains stop at the Davis St. Station, three blocks south of Engelhart. All three Northwestern Shuttles stop at the intersection of Maple & Emerson, just southwest of the building. For more information on getting around, please visit the Northwestern Transportation Services website.

I own a car, what kind of parking options are available to me? 

An underground parking garage is available to residents of Engelhart. Underground parking plans run concurrent with a resident's housing contract. To apply for a parking space in the underground parking garage, please pick up an application form in the Graudate Housing Office. For information on underground parking fees, please see Engelhart Rates

There are also a ground-level parking lots near Engelhart Hall and around campus. For information on these University lots, please visit the University Parking Office website or contact them at (847) 491-3319.

Can I end my contract early? 

Under certain circumstances a student may be released from the residence contract during an academic quarter. The reasons are as follows:

  • academic dismissal
  • disciplinary exclusion from the University
  • induction into military service
  • health reasons, upon written recommendation of the Office of University Student Health Services

A student must apply for such release in writing, and in all cases written documentation substantiating the request must be provided to the Graduate Housing Office from the appropriate agency or office. Please contact us for more information by sending a message to grad-housing@northwestern.edu or calling 847-467-4663.

What public schools would my child attend?

Elementary school students (grades K-8) can attend District 65 schools. For more information, contact the District 65 office at 847-859-8000.

High school students (grades 9-12) can attend Evanston Township High School. For more information, contact the Evanston Township High School at 847-424-7000.

Does Engelhart Hall close over holiday and summer breaks? 

No. Engelhart is open year-round, unlike the undergraduate dormitories that are closde over summer and holiday breaks. You are free to stay in the building for the duration of your housing terms and conditions.