Other Disabling Conditions
The Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) will serve students who have disabling conditions that do not fall in any of the other categories elaborated on our documentation guidelines page; decisions regarding appropriate accommodations will be made on a case-by-case basis.
The professional who prepares documentation of the student's condition should include the following information:
- Diagnosis and relevant explanation
- Date of diagnosis
- Date of last clinical contact with student
- Approximate duration of disorder
- Severity of disorder
- Description of the student's functional limitations in an educational setting
- Additional information that seems helpful in determining the nature and severity of the student's disability
- Additional recommendations that may assist SSD in determining appropriate accommodations and intervention
Medical professionals providing the above information may find it helpful acess our Medical Disability Verification Form (Word doc) and fill it out completely on the student's behalf. The documentation provided will be reviewed by the relevant University agency, as determined by the type of documentation provided, for diagnosis of the disabling condition and the resulting functional limitations. The University agency will make recommendations for accommodations to SSD, who will make the final decision based on all of the relevant information.
Guidance for students with temporary medical conditions is also available.