Medical, Physical, and Visual Impairments
Students whose disabling conditions are readily apparent are eligible for services and priority registration. For additional accommodations and for students with invisible conditions, the student must provide documentation of the disabling condition and the resulting functional limitations. Such documentation must be prepared by a qualified professional and should be current. The professional who prepares this documentation should include the following information:
- Date of diagnosis
- Date of last clinical contact with student
- Approximate duration of disorder
- Severity of disorder
- Description of the student's functional limitations in an educational setting
- Additional information that seems helpful in determining the nature and severity of the student's disability
- Additional recommendations that may assist SSD in determining appropriate accommodations and intervention
Medical professionals providing the above information may find it helpful to access our Medical Disability Verification Form (Word doc) and complete the form on the student's behalf.
In some circumstances, such as an unfamiliar disease or disabling condition and/or if the documentation is unclear, it may be referred to the Director of the Student Health Center for review. Following review of the documentation for diagnosis of a disabling condition and the resulting functional limitations, the Director will make recommendations for appropriate accommodations to the Director of Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD). However, the Director of SSD will make the final decision regarding appropriate accommodations based on all of the relevant information.