Hearing Loss

Students who are deaf or hard-of-hearing must provide the SSD office with an audiogram by a licensed audiologist. The audiogram and any additional medical documentation provided must be current. If a current audiogram is not available, the student may want to contact Northwestern's Audiology Clinic for an updated evaluation.

An audiogram showing evidence of a hearing loss will entitle the student to services and priority registration. Information about the functional limitations caused by the hearing loss should also be included in the report if the student is seeking additional academic accommodations, which may include (although this list is not exhaustive):

  • Preferential seating
  • Adaptive equipment
  • Note-takers
  • Sign-language interpreters or captioning services
  • Foreign language substitution