Skip to main content

Pregnancy and Parenting

Accommodations for Pregnant Students

Students may request reasonable accommodations as a result of pregnancy, childbirth, or related conditions. Reasonable accommodations vary based on the student’s circumstances, but may include: academic accommodations and flexibility (such as breaks during class, excused absences, rescheduling of tests, extensions of deadlines, and alternatives to make up missed work); leaves of absences or changes in work schedules; changes to housing; or other types of accommodations.

Students who wish to discuss or request accommodations based on pregnancy, childbirth, or related conditions, should contact the Title IX Coordinator, at  

Resources for Pregnant and Parenting Students

Northwestern University is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive environment for pregnant and parenting students. Pregnant and parenting graduate students can find additional information and resources on TGS's Family Resources page and may consult with Lesley Lundeen, TGS Family Resource Liaison, at

To file a report of discrimination based on pregnancy or parental status, go to

Accommodations for Students with Disabilities

Students with a medical condition, including a medical condition related to pregnancy or childbirth, who wish to request disability-related accommodations should contact Accessible NU.  

Accommodations for Pregnant Faculty and Staff

Faculty and staff who wish to request a reasonable accommodation, including accommodations related to pregnancy, childbirth, or a related condition, should contact the Office of Civil Rights and Title IX Compliance at or 847-467-6165.  More information about the reasonable accommodation process is available at this link

To file a report of discrimination based on pregnancy or parental status, go to 

Additional Resources for Students, Faculty, and Staff

For more information on the resources available to parenting students, faculty, and staff, including resources for students with children, childcare options and available subsidies, family and medical leave, lactation rooms, and information on flexible work arrangements, contact the Office of Work/Life & Family Resources.  

Quick Exit