Local Hospitals, Clinics, and Organizations
In addition to academic performance and test results, health professions schools value your experiences outside of the classroom. Many schools may require clinical exposure and value non-clinical engagement through volunteer opportunities, or through extra-curricular activities. These forms of civic engagement, typically volunteering, may provide first-hand experiences in the profession you are exploring, while developing your skills and deepening your career discernment process.
Discover hospitals and clinics where Northwestern students have volunteered.
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center
- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
- American Cancer Society
- Amita Health Saint Francis Hospital
- Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago
- Community Health
- Erie Family Health Center
- Lawndale Christian Health Center
- Marjorie Kovler Center
- North Chicago VA Hospital
- Northshore University HealthSystem (formerly Evanston Hospital and Rush North Shore Medical Center)
- Old Irving Park Community Clinic
- Stroger Hospital of Cook County
- Symphony of Evanston (formerly Mather Pavilion)
Discover community organizations where Northwestern students have volunteered.
- Northwestern Community Development Corps (NCDC) is a student-run organization which seeks to engage students in community development at Northwestern, in Evanston, and throughout Chicago by promoting volunteer work at local sites including Symphony of Evanston, Community Health, the Heartland Alliance, and La Rabida Children's Hospital.
- The Cradle (Evanston) is a non-sectarian adoption agency with an on-site nursery.
- Journey Care and Rainbow Hospice (Chicago & Suburbs) deliver comprehensive care to terminally ill patients and their families throughout the Chicago area, primarily in their homes or residential facilities.
- La Clinica is a health care establishment in Hispanic communities in Metro Chicago.
- New Life Volunteering Society provides basic preventative care, health care and health education to uninsured and underserved patients and the community, and offers learning opportunities for students in the clinical setting.
- Shirley Ryan AbilityLab provides inpatient, day rehabilitation and outpatient patient service in physical medicine and rehabilitation.
Map of Hospitals, Clinics, and Community Organizations
The map consists of a number of layers and each layer is designed to help you research volunteer opportunities in Evanston and Chicago. Please note, many organizations have their head office in downtown Chicago and, upon contact, may also offer opportunities in Evanston. So, focus on an opportunity or organization that you would like to support and learn more about, as you build your pre-professional experiences.
If you'd prefer to view the hospitals, clinics, and community organizations in list format, download the documents linked below: