As a recipient of significant external funding, Northwestern must assure Federal and other sponsors that the assignment of time and associated salary and fringe benefit costs to the projects they sponsor is fair, consistent, and timely. The University fulfills this responsibility through Effort Reporting. Effort Reporting is required for exempt faculty and staff with sponsored funding or commitments.
Accessing Effort Reporting System and Related Policies & Procedures
- Access the online Effort Reporting System (ERS). NetID login is required.
Please Note: VPN is required to access ERS from an off-campus location. See instructions for installing Northwestern VPN. If you need to access ERS offsite but are having trouble installing or connecting to VPN, please contact your department’s IT staff or NUIT for assistance.
- Access Effort Reporting related policies and procedures.
References and Templates
Use your Northwestern NetID and password to access the Effort Reporting References and Templates.
Quick Start Guide and Training
If you have never used the online Effort Reporting System or you are not familiar with the Compensation for Personal Services Federal requirements (fulfilled by Effort Reporting), we strongly recommend reviewing Basics of Effort Reporting and the Certifier’s Job Aid to get started. If you would like to receive one-on-one assistance, please contact Jennifer Mitchell (firstname.lastname@example.org). We are happy to provide individual support.
- Effort Reporting System Role Assignment Guidelines
- Effort Reporting System Terminology: ERS Glossary
- Log in to References and Templates with NetID to access Administrator job aids, including Effort Reporting System (ERS) Guides and Key Personnel / Commitment references.”
The Office of Cost Studies provides quarterly Effort Reporting policies and procedures, and system navigation trainings. The Effort 101 (Introduction to Effort Reporting) is mandatory for administrators who require access to the Effort Reporting System (ERS) and manage Effort reports. If you have questions regarding the training, please contact your Effort Coordinator or Jennifer Mitchell (email@example.com). We are happy to provide further assistance.
- Introduction to Effort Reporting Online Mini Course - If you are looking for a quick and friendly introduction, please review this online mini-course.