Northwestern's Status at a Glance
Northwestern is committed to providing news and resources for students, faculty and staff throughout the evolving COVID-19 crisis. Read an overview of the University key responses to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The University is still operating, but some services are reduced or on hold.
- Summer registration begins May 18. Summer class schedules will be published in CAESAR May 11. Students will find their registration appointment in CAESAR by May 14.
- Fall Quarter registration will take place in late July or August. Undergraduate advisors will be available remotely then; graduate students should consult their advisors as usual.
- Spring Quarter classes are being conducted remotely.
- All Northwestern summer classes and academic programs starting on or before July 12, 2020 will be offered remotely for the duration of the summer.
- All undergraduate classes will be delivered remotely for the entire summer. A small number of graduate classes may be offered in person.
- All but staff essential to on-campus operations are working remotely through at least May 31. Essential research will continue.
- Resources for working and conducting classes remotely are available online.
- The University is complying with Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker’s order to "stay-at-home" through May 31 to slow the spread of COVID-19.
- Most students have departed campus; students unable to leave campus remain in University residences.
- Northwestern will issue refunds for all Spring Quarter housing & dining costs for any student who left campus housing by the end of spring break.
- University instituted Pass/No Pass grading for undergraduates Spring Quarter, and also as an option for graduate student programs.
- For all summer classes, Northwestern will restore standard grading practices with the option for Pass/No Pass grading determined by individual courses.
Campus events, travel and visitors are cancelled, with the exception of certain academic programming.
- Gatherings of more than 10 people are prohibited.
- In lieu of hosting external visitors, faculty and staff are encouraged to hold virtual meetings or events; admitted students can take virtual tours.
- All varsity athletics competition is canceled for the remainder of the academic year. All organized team activities are suspended until at least June 1, and camps and clinics for pre-college populations that include minors are cancelled through September 13.
- Recreation facilities are closed until further notice.
- Campus buildings are closed through May 31, including the Norris University Center, University Libraries, Block Museum and all performance spaces.
- Faculty who need to access Northwestern buildings can still use their Wildcard to get inside.
- Northwestern's commencement on June 19, 2020 will be held virtually. All 2020 graduates will be welcomed back to campus for in-person graduation ceremonies in June 2021.
- University-sponsored international student travel is cancelled through August.
- Most students studying abroad have returned home, though a small number have stayed abroad.
- Non-essential international and domestic University business travel is restricted until further notice.