Travel Quick Reference Guide
Bookmark this quick reference guide on your PDA or laptop for easy access during your travels, or print out the Pocket Guide (pdf) version of this page and carry it with you.
Travel Booking and Discounts
- Northwestern University contracts with United Airlines and its Star Alliance Partners (Lufthansa, SAS, and British Midlands), offering a substantial discount on select fares.
- To receive reduced fares on both domestic and international flights, book using Compass or one of Northwestern's approved travel agencies.
- Visit the Air Travel page for more information.
- Receive discounted rates on rentals from National Car Rental or Enterprise Rent-a-Car.
- Car rental through National includes a Loss Damage Waiver and liability insurance, except for international rentals.
- To make a reservation, book online using National's NU web site or Compass, call 800-CAR-RENT, or contact Sheila Rafferty at National.
- View the complete policy for car rentals in the University's Travel Policy and Procedures (PDF).
- In the event of an accident, report the accident to Northwestern's Office of Risk Management (847-491-5610) immediately if it results in personal injury or towing. Otherwise, it must be reported within 24 hours. Follow the rental agency accident report instructions and forward a copy of the report to the Office of Risk Management.
- Visit the Car Rentals page for more information.
- Book hotels in Evanston and Chicago using Northwestern University's negotiated rates.
- Visit the Hotels page for more information.
Approved Travel Agencies
- 53 Ogden Ave
Clarendon Hills, IL 60514
- Phone: 847-491-8785 or toll-free 866-682-8785 (866-NU2-TRVL)
- Fax: 630-954-3881
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Hours: Mon.-Fri. 6 a.m.-10 p.m.; Sat. 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
Compass (online booking system provided by Tower Travel)
- Phone: 630-928-7090
- E-mail Support: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hours for E-mail Support: Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
- Online system available 24/7
Travel 100 Group (formerly Four Corners Travel)
- 519 Park Drive
Kenilworth, IL 60043
- Phone: 847-256-7570 or toll-free 800-245-9335
- Fax: 847-256-9475
- E-mail: Tina@t100g.com, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hours: Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sat. by appointment only
- 1740 Ridge Avenue, Lower Level 15B
Evanston, IL 60201
- Phone: 847-491-6930 (outside Illinois 800-626-6963)
- Fax: 847-491-0923
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Hours: Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Sat. 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
Last-Minute Travel Changes
For last-minute travel changes, contact your travel agency:
- Tower/Compass: 866-682-8785 (24-hour service; $18 charge after Tower's normal business hours)
- Travel 100 Group: 800-221-1611 (for after-hours service only: 800-823-2593; $20 charge any time this number is called)
- IntraWorld Travel: 800-626-6963
Or call the airline directly:
- Air Canada: 888-247-2262
- American: 800-433-7300
- British Airways: 800-247-9297
- Continental: 800-523-3273
- Delta: 800-221-1212
- Lufthansa: 800-645-3880
- Southwest: 800-435-9792
- United: 800-864-8331
- US Airways: 800-428-4322
- Save money by using Compass, the online booking system.
- To streamline the booking process, update your travel profile with your preferences, frequent flyer numbers, and other details.
- When using a travel agent to book flights, expand your flight and fare options by giving the agent a window for travel time.
- Consider alternative airports (for both departure and destination) within reasonable driving time of your destination to take advantage of lower fares.
- Save your travel receipts. Submit receipts as soon as possible using the Reimbursement Form, available in NUFinancials on the NUPortal.
- When charging a chart string, make sure the account field is open and funded. (Typically, a non-grant account is 76710, and a grant account is 76765 for domestic and 76770 for international travel.)
- Review Northwestern's complete Travel Policy and Procedures (PDF).
- Purchase collision and loss damage waiver insurance only when renting cars internationally.
- When traveling overseas, consult iSOS for 24-hour access to health, safety, and travel advice. Northwestern's membership code is 11BCAS000003.
- Check your itinerary for your flights' minimum check-in times.