The Northwestern-Argonne Carpool is a user-run service that travels daily between the Northwestern Evanston Campus and the Argonne National Lab Campus. Students, professors and researchers affiliated with Northwestern are encouraged to take advantage of this carpool, which is fully funded by the Northwestern University Office for Research.
Contact the carpool coordinator, Mark Seniw, with any questions or concerns.
- Taurus #157 departs and returns from Northwestern daily.
- Departs the parking lot east of Cook Hall between 7 and 8 a.m.
- Departs Argonne around 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
- Cavalier #166 accommodates overbooking of the Taurus #157, as well as beamtime and other commuting schedules that are incompatible with the Taurus.
- Log into a designated gmail e-mail account.
- Username: NU.ANL.Carpool
- Password: nuanlcar
- Navigate to the Documents area to sign up on the Roster with contact information and preferred drop-off/pick-up locations at Argonne.
- After signing the roster, users can then choose to sign-up for a time slot for one of the two cars.
Carpool User Responsibilities
Because the carpool is user-run, its efficiency is highly dependent on user responsibility. We ask that users do their best to:
- Meet at the car and be on time. Drivers are allowed to leave if a rider is late for departure. Sign up for within a reasonable amount of time before departure.
- Contact the driver via e-mail if you need to cancel less than 24 hours before departure.
Carpool DriversAlthough all students, professors, and researchers are encouraged to become riders, it is advantageous to the user to become a registered driver. Only registered drivers may drive the car and drivers have extended responsibilities and privileges.
- Drivers must take the Defensive Driving Course offered by the Office of Risk Management. Note that drivers must have held a valid driver's license for at least two years.
- Drivers must directly contact the coordinator for driver orientation after completion of the test.
- Drivers must arrive a few minutes early to pick up the keys and gas card from the lockbox, located outside #1155 Cook Hall. The coordinator will supply you with the box code.
- Drivers are required to drop off and pick up the other riders at Argonne.
- Drivers must inform the coordinator of any car troubles.
- Drivers are allowed to set the departure times (within reason).
- Drivers are allowed to park the car near their place of lab/office during the workday.
- Drivers are allowed control over the radio (within reason).
- Drivers are allowed to make the decision to leave if a rider is late for departure (within reason).