The official purple Northwestern University for web pages is defined below. Use of this color is not required.
- RGB: 82,0,99
- Hexadecimal: 520063
Web-safe colors are not required for two reasons: 1) a minuscule percentage of users still use 8-bit monitors; and 2) a simple workaround exists: Use transparent backgrounds for images. Web-safe colors were advocated in the past because older monitors were only capable of displaying 256 colors.
- Better for smaller graphics with text.
- Supports animation.
- Render with a transparent background to avoid dithering.
- Smaller file size.
- Smaller color palette.
- Smaller file size (5%-25% more compressed than GIF).
- Best for transparency.
- No jagged edges and no need for matte color matching.
- Better for images with subtle variations of color (supports 16 million colors).
- Higher compression tends to degrade quality: adjust compressions to avoid large file size and bad image quality.