Info About ▼
Info For ▼

Transferring Credit from Study Abroad

Upon return, complete the following steps to start the study abroad credit transfer process.

1. Have your study abroad transcript sent to the Study Abroad Office.

Make sure that your program sends an official study abroad transcript to the Northwestern Study Abroad Office (629 Colfax Street, Evanston, IL 60208-4195).

Usually, it takes foreign universities about two months to send the official document. If your credits have not been posted on CAESAR after two months, contact your study abroad program to see if they have sent the transcript to our office.

Note: Barcelona Consortium fall returnees and King’s College returnees can expect their transcripts to take three and four months, respectively. 

2. Submit a program evaluation.

To be eligible to receive study abroad credit, you must complete a program evaluation

3. Submit a petition to graduate one calendar year before your expected graduation.

The Office of the Registrar processes a very large volume of study abroad transcripts, so it may take several weeks to post study abroad credit. The Registrar will take graduation date into consideration when posting credit, so if you are expecting to graduate within a year and have not yet submitted your petition to graduate, you should do that immediately. Otherwise, transcripts will be processed in the order in which they were received.

4. Complete the credit transfer process for your school.

If you will be seeking major/minor credit or are interested in fulfilling distribution or other school requirements, you will need to follow your school’s program for transferring your general (elective) study abroad credits. Learn about the credit transfer process for your school

Learn about exceptions for students attending some NU programs.