Steps to Study Abroad
Review the study abroad guide
- The Study Abroad Guide is the comprehensive resource regarding the nuts and bolts of study abroad at Northwestern.
- It covers academic information (credit enrollment abroad, credit transfer), money matters (how billing and financial aid work), health and safety matters as well as identity and diversity considerations.
Research programs & options
- Consult Choosing A Study Abroad Program to identify your reasons for studying abroad and what you hope to gain from the experience. This will help you choose a program and focus on your priorities while abroad.
- Use the search engine to browse programs online by region, country, or term.
- Visit the office to read Program Evaluations from past students or contact NU returnees directly!
Stay connected to the study abroad office
- Sign up to receive our weekly newsletter for announcements about deadlines, upcoming events, and important news.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Learn about your school's policies for study abroad
- Bienen School of Music (pdf)
- McCormick School of Engineering & Applied Science (pdf)
- Medill School of Journalism (pdf)
- School of Communication (pdf)
- School of Education & Social Policy (pdf)
- Weinberg College of Arts & Sciences (pdf)
- School of Continuing Studies (pdf)
Meet with a Study Abroad Adviser
- Call the Study Abroad Office at 847-467-6400 to schedule a private advising appointment with a Study Abroad Adviser to discuss program options and the application process. Meeting with an adviser is not required but is strongly recommended.
- For general questions, stop in for walk-in hours.
- If you have questions about financial aid for study abroad, call the Office of Undergraduate Financial Aid at 847-491-7400 to schedule an appointment with Krista Buda Bethel, Assistant Director of Study Abroad Financial Services.
consult with a career adviser
- Discuss career implications of studying abroad with University Career Services or your school's career office
- Understand industry timelines for finding jobs and internships
- Discuss opportunities you might engage in while abroad to further career aspirations
- Sign up for CareerCat, University Career Services’ main internship and job database for both On-Campus Recruiting and direct application opportunities
- Go to Application Checklist.
- November 1, 2014: Final deadline for Spring 2015 programs.
- December 15, 2014: Final deadline for Fall 2015 and Full Year 2015-16 for the following programs: Earlham Japan Study at Waseda; Royal Academy of Music (RAM)
- January 15, 2015: Final deadline for Fall 2015 and Full Year 2015-16 for the following programs: Arcadia-Oxford University; Arcadia-King's Health and Society; Bologna Consortial Studies Program (BCSP); Danish Institute for Study Abroad (DIS); Royal Danish Academy of Music (RDAM); Kyoto Consortium for Japanese Studies; Year of Study in Munich.
- February 10, 2015: Final deadline for Fall 2015 and Full Year 2015-16 for all other programs
- March 1, 2015: Final deadline for all Summer 2015 programs
- June 1, 2015: Final deadline for all Winter/Spring 2016 programs
- November 1, 2015: Final deadline for all Spring 2016 programs
Complete your program application(s) by their deadline(s)
- In addition to the NU Study Abroad Application, you must complete applications for your program(s) by their published deadline(s).
- If your program appears on the list of exceptions, you do not need to complete an addiitonal application.
Apply for financial aid and scholarships
- Northwestern University’s policy of meeting demonstrated need extends to students attending affiliated study abroad programs. Remember to apply early for financial aid and funding for study abroad.
- Students who attend unaffiliated programs and Non-NU Summer programs are not eligible for any form of Northwestern financial aid.
Other steps to consider:
- When does my passport expire? Generally, your passport needs to be valid for six months after your planned date of return to the U.S. Check your expiration date, and if necessary, begin the application/renewal process as soon as possible!
- When are my program's application deadlines and what are the program's requirements? This information is available on your program sponsor’s website.
- Other questions? Talk to your study abroad adviser!