Steps to Apply for Non-Northwestern Summer Programs
1. Review the ONLINE Guide TO STUDY ABROAD
Learn about the nuts and bolts of study abroad, including academic policies, money matters, and health and safety considerations, by reviewing the Online Guide to Study Abroad.
2. Research programs thoroughly
Choosing a study abroad program is an exciting process! Use the search tips and list of recommended programs on our Non-Northwestern Summer Programs webpage.
3. Learn about your school's policies for study abroad
- Bienen School of Music (pdf)
- McCormick School of Engineering & Applied Science (pdf)
- Medill School of Journalism (pdf)
- School of Communication (pdf)
- School of Education & Social Policy (pdf)
- Weinberg College of Arts & Sciences pdf)
- School of Continuing Studies (pdf)
4. Determine if you need to contact a Study Abroad Adviser
Contact the Study Abroad Office for assistance if:
- Your desired program is not included on the Non-NU Summer Recommended List
Email the Study Abroad Office with your name, the program in which you are interested and a link to the program webpage. A Study Abroad Adviser will contact you to let you know if the program's credits are transferable to Northwestern or if an advising appointment is necessary to discuss other options.
- You are having trouble choosing a program
Call the Study Abroad Office (847-467-6400) to schedule an appointment with an Adviser. We would be happy to talk through some options with you!
5. Complete and submit your NU Study abroad application
- Apply online after reviewing the Application Checklist
- Submit your Northwestern Study Abroad Application by March 1
- Note: Submit your NU Application at least two weeks before your program's application deadline or earlier if the program is competitive or operates on a rolling admissions basis.
If you have any questions about deadlines or the application process, please call the Study Abroad Office at 847-467-6400.