Steps to Apply for Non-Northwestern Summer Programs
1. Review the Study Abroad Guide
Learn about the nuts and bolts of study abroad including academic and financial considerations, the application process, and more. You can download a copy (pdf) or pick one up at the Study Abroad Office.
2. Research programs thoroughly
Choosing a study abroad program is an exciting process! Use the search tips and list of recommended programs on our Non-Northwestern Summer Programs webpage.
3. Learn about your school's policies for study abroad
Each school has written a letter for prospective study abroad students, which includes its policies and requirements:
- Bienen School of Music (pdf)
- McCormick School of Engineering & Applied Science (pdf)
- Medill School of Journalism (pdf)
- School of Communication (pdf)
- School of Education & Social Policy (pdf)
- Weinberg College of Arts & Sciences pdf)
- School of Continuing Studies (pdf)
4. Determine if you need to contact a Study Abroad Adviser
Contact our office for assistance if:
- Your desired program is not on our non-NU summer recommended list
Email the Study Abroad Office with your name, the program in which you are interested and a link to the program webpage. A Study Abroad Adviser will contact you to let you know if the program's credits are transferable to Northwestern or if an advising appointment is necessary to discuss other options.
- You are having trouble choosing a program
Call the Study Abroad Office (847-467-6400) to schedule an appointment with an Adviser. We would be happy to talk through some options with you!
5. Complete and submit your application
- Apply online after reviewing the Application Checklist
- Submit your Northwestern Study Abroad Application by March 1
- Note: Submit your NU Application at least two weeks before your program's application deadline or earlier if the program is competitive or operates on a rolling admissions basis.
If you have any questions about deadlines or the application process, please call the Study Abroad Office at 847-467-6400.