All approved study abroad students must complete the following requirements prior to departure.
- Log into your NU Application and complete the Pre-departure section
- Submit a Program Confirmation form
- Watch required Prezis on the Pre-departure Orientation Canvas site
- Attend a mandatory in-person pre-departure orientation, if applicable to your program
- Obtain HTH health insurance
- Fulfill other Northwestern requirements and any contingencies
If you fail to complete them, you risk not earning credit for study abroad.
University's Use of Email: As indicated in the Undergraduate Catalog, "email is the University’s mechanism for official communication with students, and Northwestern has the right to expect that students will read official email in a timely fashion." Failure to receive or read communication from the Study Abroad Office does not absolve a student from knowing and complying with the content of the communication.
Once you have logged into your NU Application, navigate to the Pre-departure section and complete it.
You must submit a Program Confirmation form to the Study Abroad Office by the deadline provided to you in your approval email. Log into your NU Application to download the form.
The Canvas site is made up of detailed Prezis covering important topics, such as NU administrative policies, billing and financial aid, as well as topics pertaining to health and safety abroad. Reviewing the Prezis and other material on the Canvas site is mandatory. Log into your NU Application to access instructions.
This in-person orientation will cover important program-specific health, safety, and cultural adjustment issues and will also give you the opportunity to meet and talk with other Northwestern students going abroad on the same program. Your Study Abroad Adviser will contact you with more information.
Northwestern University requires all study abroad students to purchase HTH Worldwide health insurance coverage for the period of time they are studying abroad, regardless of any other coverage you have from your parents, Northwestern, or your study abroad program (view exemptions).
Academic and program requirements
- Review academic requirements and identify which (if any) apply to you. You are expected to adhere to these requirements while studying abroad.
- Check your program page to determine if Northwestern has additional requirements pertaining to course enrollment or housing on your program.
- If you are planning to pursue an internship or research abroad, read the following information:
- Maintain satisfactory academic performance before going abroad, which includes completing any outstanding incompletes.
- Students placed on academic probation after their applications were approved may not be permitted to study abroad.
- As indicated in the Undergraduate Catalog, "email is the University’s mechanism for official communication with students, and Northwestern has the right to expect that students will read official email in a timely fashion." Failure to receive or read communication from the Study Abroad Office does not absolve a student from knowing and complying with the content of the communication.
- Change your contact information to your permanent/billing address, so that offices on campus will send any important materials to your parents/guardians.
- Fulfill any contingencies listed in the "Application Information" section of your NU Application.
Registering for Courses
- Do not register yourself for NU courses for the term(s) you will be abroad! The Study Abroad Office will register you for a “placeholder” course for the duration of your time abroad (view exceptions), so you should not register for any classes at Northwestern.
- We will not be able to register you for study abroad if you are already registered for any classes on campus.
- Do not hold registration spots for your friends! This is considered a breach of NU's academic integrity code.
- We will not be able to register you for study abroad if any holds are placed on your registration. So update your emergency information on CAESAR and pay all bills due to Student Accounts, Student Loans or the library. Per the Student Agreement you signed in your NU Application, you are required to clear all holds on your account prior to the registation period of each study abroad term. This is mandatory in order to maintain your approval to study abroad and be eligible to transfer credit back to Northwestern.
- The School of Continuing Studies Registrar will register SCS students in a placeholder course. Please complete the SCS Study Abroad Registration Form (pdf) and return it to their office. For appropriate course information, please contact the Study Abroad Office.
- Maintain a clean student conduct record with the Division of Student Affairs. Students may not be permitted to study abroad if they (a) were on housing or disciplinary probation when they were approved and did not successfully complete the probation, or (b) incurred housing or disciplinary violations after their applications were approved.
- Students who will be on disciplinary probation during the term(s) in which they are scheduled to study abroad are not eligible to study abroad for academic credit at NU, even if their NU Application had been previously approved.