STEM Extension OPT
This extension of the post-completion OPT period for students in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM).
Please note that the STEM Extention OPT carries additional visa restriction and reporting requirements. Review these restrictions and requirements.
Are you eligible?
- You must have earned a degree in a field included on the STEM Designated Degree Program List (check with your IO advisor)
- You must currently be on a period of post-completion OPT based on a STEM degree
- You must have a valid EAD card
- You must be working for an employer that is enrolled in the Department of Homeland Security’s E-Verify program. You may find out if your employer is in the E-Verify system on the USCIS website or ask your Human Resources Office (HR)
- You may apply for the STEM extension 120 days before the end of your first period of OPT. Check your EAD card for your OPT end date!
How to apply
1. Ensure your degree program is eligible for STEM
Contact your IO advisor before proceeding with the application.
2. Report any/all employment during your 12-month period
Complete the OPT Reporting Survey BEFORE applying for the STEM extension.
3. Collect your application materials
Refer to the checklist below to see a complete list of application materials.
- See the USCIS website for the most up-to-date version of Form I-765. Here is a sample I-765.
- USCIS must receive your STEM application before the end date of your first period of OPT.
4. Submit your complete application to the IO.
5. Pick up your materials from IO and prepare your application for USCIS.
- Pick up your new I-20 with your STEM OPT recommendation from the IO. Not in Evanston/Chicago? Create an account in eShipGlobal and we will mail you your packet.
- You will receive a packet containing two I-20: one to keep and one to send to USCIS with your OPT application. Sign page 1 of each I-20.
- Make a photocopy of your I-765.
6. Mail your application to USCIS.
- Mail your application to USCIS within 15 days (or else it will be rejected!)
- Send your application to either the Phoenix or Dallas USCIS office, depending on your current U.S. state of residence. Please check with your IO advisor to see where you should mail your application. DO NOT E-FILE your application!
- You will receive a receipt notice in the mail 2-3 weeks after filing the application. You may track the progress of your application on the USCIS website. Please note that USCIS does not regularly update the steps and most students see their status as 'initial review' until it jumps to 'card production.'
7. Wait to receive EAD card in the mail.
Once approved, you will receive a new EAD card for your OPT STEM Extension.
Application materials checklist
The following items need to be reviewed by the IO. Items marked with an asterisk also need to be submitted to USCIS:
- Employment verification letter*
- Completed form I-765 (view a sample)*
- Check or Money Order made payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security (check USCIS for current fee)*
- Copy of current EAD Card (front and back)*
- Copy of I-20 issued for first period (12 months or less) of Optional Practical Training*
- Copy of I-94 Record*
- Copy of Passport Bio Page*
- Copy of F-1 visa stamp*
- Two identical passport style (2" x 2") color photographs taken within the last 30 days*
- Copy of transcript or diploma reflecting conferred degree/major. Registrar's Office*
- Employer Verification of Compliance form
- Optional Practical Training 17 Month STEM Extension form