As a recipient of significant external funding, the University must assure Federal and other sponsors that the assignment of time and associated salary and fringe benefit costs to the projects they sponsor is fair, consistent, and timely. The University fulfills this responsibility through Effort Reporting. Effort Reporting is required for exempt faculty and staff with sponsored funding or commitments.
Accessing Effort Reporting System and related Policies & Procedures
To access the online Effort Certification System, click the following link. Then, enter your NetID and password:
References and Templates
Use your Northwestern NetID and password to access the Effort reporting References and Templates.
Quick Start Guide and Training
Faculty or Certifiers
- If you have never used the online Effort Reporting System or you are not familiar with the Federal requirement of Effort Reporting, we strongly recommend reviewing Basics of Effort Reporting and the Certifier’s job aid to get started.
- Certifier: Basics of Effort Reporting Slide Show or PDF
- Certifier’s job aid: Certification screen-by-screen guide
- Administrator’s job aid: Pre Review screen-by-screen guide
- Department Coordinator Guides: Effort Certification & Commitment Management
- ERS System Terminology: ERS Glossary
TrainingWe provide regular Effort system navigation and policies/procedures trainings. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding training
- Introduction to Effort Reporting Online Mini Course - If you are looking for a quick and friendly introduction online, take this 15 minute online mini-course.
- FSM Salary Planning, Effort Reporting, and Uniform Guidance - Presented to FSM administrators on October 28, 2014