Overview of our Advising Services for Health Professions
Health professions advisers can help NU undergraduates and alumni:
- Learn about the different health professions - i.e. medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, physical therapy, veterinary medicine and a range of other health careers.
- Find ways to test their decision to pursue a career in the health professions.
- Prepare academically and non-academically to become a competitive applicant.
- Navigate the application process.
- Decide the best time to apply to a particular program.
- Improve their health profession program application.
- Appointments are available Monday through Friday, 9am - 5pm
- Sophomores, juniors, seniors and alumni can schedule appointments without condition; freshmen premed students must first attend a general premed information session.
- Freshmen pre-health students (interested in any health profession other than medicine) may schedule an appointment with a health professions adviser.
- Students can sign up for appointments online; confirmations will be sent via e-mail.
- Drop-in hours are open to Northwestern undergraduates and alumni.
- Advisers are available Mondays, 3:00 - 4:30pm and Thursdays, 1:30 - 3:00pm (sessions are 5-10 minutes and designed for quick questions).
- Students are seen on a first come, first served basis; no appointments are necessary.
The University Academic Advising Center plans a calendar of events and information sessions every quarter for premed/pre-health students, including:
- Visits from medical school representatives
- Visits from health program representatives (e.g. dental, pharmacy)
- General premed workshops for freshmen
- Specific premed workshops for sophomores/juniors/seniors
- Applying to medical school
- Interview Preparation
- Medical School Selection
- Personal Statement Preparation
- AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service) Overview
- AMCAS Drop-in Q&A session
Read descriptions of the premed workshops.
Sign up for an upcoming workshop or event.
This service facilitates the collection and dissemination of recommendation letters needed when applying to medical and dental programs, as well as post-baccalaureate programs.
Learn more about using this service.
Our Weekly Update is sent via e-mail once a week to interested premed/pre-health students
Weekly Updates typically include:
- Upcoming events/information
- Clinical experience/volunteer opportunities
- Research opportunities
- Job opportunities
- Premed/Pre-health student organization events/ contact information
Interested in receiving our Weekly Update? Please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
See an archive of past Weekly Updates.