Skip to main content

Student Trip Reporting Directions

Pursuant to the Clery Act (a federal law), the University on an annual basis is required to disclose certain reported crime statistics that occur during University sponsored / arranged domestic and international student trips.

Community members who are administratively responsible for domestic and international student trips are expected to report student trip information to the University Clery Act Coordinator regardless if any Clery Act reportable crimes occurred on a trip using a Student Trip Form.

Reportable Student Trips

To be reportable, student trips must meet certain length of stay requirements (see above text box) and the University must have control over the trip or program accommodation and any related academic space used in conjunction with the trip. Control, as defined by the Clery Act, means that there is a written agreement (no matter how informal) directly between the University and the end space provider or between the University and a contracted third party coordinator for trip residential and/or academic space.

In addition, the controlled space must be used in direct support of, or in relation to, the institution’s educational purposes and frequented by students. Some examples of a written agreement include renting hotel rooms, leasing apartments, leasing space in a student housing facility or academic space on another campus and even an e-mail agreement for use of space free of charge.

Host family situations do not normally qualify as reportable trip locations unless Northwestern has a written agreement with the family that gives it some significant control over the space in the family home.

Third Party Contractor Student Trips

Please note, if Northwestern has entered into a written agreement with a third party contractor to arrange housing and/or classroom space for a school-sponsored trip or study abroad program (either domestic or foreign), and the trip meets the criteria above, those locations are Clery reportable. This provision applies for “custom” or “specific” programs developed for Northwestern, and does not apply to programs with a third party where Northwestern is one of several institutions participating (i.e., most third party study abroad programs that enroll students from many institutions) because Northwestern does not control the space in those situations.

Why is Student Trip Information Needed?

Information on Act qualifying student trips is needed by the University for follow-up with the local law enforcement agency associated with the trip location. A request is sent to the trip location local law enforcement agency to determine if any Clery Act qualifying crimes (occurring during the trip time frame and at the University arranged accommodation and/or related academic space) were reported directly to the local law enforcement and thus may not be known to University personnel. * Note, other University / Departmental internal crime reporting requirements may also exist on any Clery Act reportable and non-reportable student trips.

Reporting Crimes Occurring on Clery Act Reportable Student Trips

Clery Act qualifying (reportable) crimes which occur in student trip utilized accommodation and/or academic space, and common areas of location(s) used to access said space, must be reported on a timely basis using the online Crime Report Form. For additional information on Clery Act qualifying crimes, visit the Clery Act Reportable Crimes and Locations information sheet. In an emergency, dial 911 or, if outside the United States, contact the local law enforcement agency.

If you have any questions on the Clery Act or on whether your student trip should be reported, please contact the University Clery Act Coordinator at