Alternative Work Arrangements
Through June 20, all schools and units should continue to provide the maximum reasonable flexibility to individuals who request individualized remote or alternative work arrangements (which include scheduling and density arrangements described in a school’s or unit’s Return to Campus plan) due to the negative impact of COVID-19. Through June 20, flexible work options could include, but are not limited to:
- Allowing any faculty or staff member to work remotely
- Allowing a faculty member to:
- take a scheduled leave early;
- team teach for the term;
- reschedule teaching responsibilities to a later quarter;
- Allowing temporary job-sharing arrangements for staff
- Allowing non-exempt employees to fulfill their scheduled hours through a non-standard work schedule
- Reducing service obligations for faculty during the 2020-21 academic year
Phase Out of Policy
The COVID-19 Alternative Work Arrangements Policy will be phased out after June 20 with an end-date between July 31 and September 3. Schools and units will determine the date on which the AWA will be sunset, based on their operational needs. Between June 20 and the policy end date, schools and units should provide reasonable flexibility to individuals, but ensure that business needs can be met. The qualifying criteria for an AWA (listed below) will narrow after June 20, in alignment with improving public health conditions.
Employees who require the AWA beyond June 20 should speak with their managers about their needs. Existing AWA arrangements will not automatically extend beyond June 20.
Northwestern is currently developing a workforce strategy, including guidelines and expectations for in-person work and opportunities for remote flexibility. More information about this will be shared throughout the spring and summer.