Create a New Page
From time to time you will need to add new pages to your website. There are several ways to do that in Cascade 8.
- The first step is to make sure you’re adding new content to the website you wish to add it to. Select the site from My Sites widget or site selector drop-down in the black tool bar.
- Once you have selected the site, locate and click Add Content button in the top header. This will reveal a list of available page types and other assets that you can recreate in Cascade. You can also perform a search here. Select the page you want to add to your site. We are using Standard Left Nav Page as an example here. Clicking on the page type will open a new edit pop-up form.
Note: Fields marked with a red star are required fields. You can reference our Pattern Library for page types that are common across our sites.
- The first field you see on the edit form is the Placement Folder. The default placement folder is the root directory of your site but you should change it to the folder of your choice. When you click to choose a different folder, a panel opens from the right hand side. You can choose from recently visited folder list (default view), or switch tab to Browse within the whole site.
Note: Placement folder or parent folder for an asset can be changed later but we don’t recommend moving assets after they’ve been published and have been on the live site for a while. This may result in broken links and negatively affect the site SEOG.
- Enter a Title (required field) and a Display Name (optional field) for your asset. Display name defaults to asset’s Title and you see it in the navigation (top and left) and in breadcrumbs. It should be used only when your asset’s title is too long.
Note: Your page title should be in title case. When you save a new asset, the title is automatically converted to all lower case; spaces are replaced with dashes so the URL of that asset is all lowercase.
- Select Display in Navigation option. This allows you to show or hide an asset in the navigation. The default selection is Yes.
- After you’ve added all the required fields, locate and click Save and Preview option that’s highlighted in blue in the top header. You can preview the new asset before you can save it permanently.
Once you click Save and Preview, a popup message will appear in the top right corner. This notifies you that the draft has been saved and gives you an option to save your asset permanently. We recommend you save your asset immediately by clicking on Click Submit link. You will see another popup where you can add comments and click Submit to save your asset. You will see another popup, similar to the one above that confirms that confirms that the asset has been saved successfully.
- After you’ve saved your new page, you should disable publishing for it until you are ready to go live. By doing so, you exclude a page from being published accidentally. This is especially important when a site has multiple content editors. To do this, find the page in your folder tree, go to Edit-->Configure option (see screenshot below) and uncheck Include when publishing checkbox.
Reminder: You will have to put it back in publishing when you are ready to go live. If you wish to add content to the new page, jump to Edit a page section of this document.