Skip to main content

Responding to a Sexual Assault

What can I do if I think I was assaulted?

1. Consider going to the emergency room

At the emergency room, doctors and nurses can treat any injuries, test for and treat sexually transmitted infections, and test for pregnancy. For more infomation on what to expect, see the Emergency Care for Sexual Assault webpage. An evidence collection kit can be completed up to one week after the assault.

Read a more complete version of this information from NUHS.

2. If you choose not to go to the hospital, consider seeing a private doctor or clinician at NU Health Service.

Consider seeing a private doctor of your own choosing or you may see a clinician at NU Health Service.

3. Emotional support following a sexual assault

The Northwestern University Health Service provides suggestions for victims of sexual assault:

Read more about these suggestions from NUHS.

4. You have the option of seeking an institutional hearing through SAHAS, the University Hearing & Appeals System.

Read more about UHAS.

How can I support someone who was sexually assaulted?

Dealing with sexual assault is not only difficult for a survivor; it is also difficult for the people that the survivor turns to for support. Being a supporter can be stressful and confusing. Remember that its okay if you don't know exactly what to say to the survivor or how to help. Remember you dont have to have all the answers. It may be that all the survivor wants from you is somebody to listen and empathize. Here are some helpful guidelines:

Back to top