Through the grass roots activism of Northwestern University graduate students, staff and faculty, and the responsiveness of the University administration and Human Resources department, we currently have an evolving and responsive Office of Work/Life Resources dedicated to improving the professional and personal lives of Northwestern community members. Creative solutions to tackling work/life issues like childcare are essential.
Visit the Child Care Solutions website for all available childcare options.
University Child Care Programs include:
- McGaw YMCA Children's Center - Evanston
- University Children’s Center at Northwestern University- Chicago
Other Childcare Services
Action for Children:
Northwestern faculty, staff and students have access to enhanced child care resource and referral services provided by the Action for Children. Call (312) 823-1275 to reach a designated Northwestern representative.
- Parent consultations on available state-licensed child care options.
- Customized childcare provider referrals.
- Up-to-date information on more than 4,500 childcare centers, family childcare homes, nanny agencies, sick care, camps and before and after school programs in Cook County and the surrounding area.
- Printed resource materials to help parents throughout the childcare search, including tips for interviewing and selecting a quality provider.
- Information about financial assistance, including state subsidy programs and providers that offer sliding scale fee programs.
For days when regular childcare is disrupted, Northwestern faculty, staff and students have access to backup care at 10 designated KinderCare Learning Centers throughout the Chicago area for up to 20 days per year. Backup care is also available at the McGaw YMCA Children's Center in Evanston.
NU faculty, staff and students can enjoy free access to a database of thousands of babysitters, nannies and pet sitters from Sittercity.
If you are interested in having a nanny care for your children but are reluctant due to the expense, you might consider sharing a nanny with another Northwestern family. The Office of Work/Life Resources helps families network to explore this childcare arrangement.
Many families also qualify for childcare financial assistance.
- University Children’s Center Fee Assistance
- YMCA Fee Assistance
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account/Match