A number of programs focus on music. Some are general programs that offer music courses; others are only open to Music students.
Make an appointment with a Study Abroad adviser to identify general programs that offer music courses.
Programs open only to Music students
- Danish Institute for Study Abroad (Royal Danish Academy of Music option)
- Conservatorium van Amsterdam
- IES Abroad Paris French Studies (Ecole Normale de Musique option)
- IES Abroad Milan
- IES Abroad Vienna
- Royal Academy of Music
Tips for earning major or minor music credit abroad
- You can only receive credit for private lessons (accepted in place of required School of Music private lessons) if written approval from the private Northwestern instructor is obtained.
- Consult with the Assistant Dean for Admission and Student Affairs for courses that may substitute for music major requirements. In some cases, the approval of the program coordinator will also be necessary.
- Research the course descriptions of the classes you plan to take abroad to ensure with the Assistant Dean that the classes correspond with major/minor requirements at Northwestern.
- Read Choosing Courses to Take Abroad, including School-specific requirements.
NU contact for studying music abroad
Dr. Linda Garton, Assistant Dean for Admission and Student Affairs,
Phone: 847-491-3818, Location: MAB 110/111