University of Sydney
Sponsor: The College of Global Studies, Arcadia University
Location: Sydney, Australia
Australia's oldest and most prestigious university, the University of Sydney is located on the fringe of Sydney's Central Business District in the vibrant neighborhood called Glebe, while still allowing easy access to downtown Sydney. USyd offers a range of strong academic courses usually with an Australian perspective with particular strengths in health and life sciences, humanities and engineering, particularly Computer Science. A Conservatorium of Music and the School of Art add to the comprehensive nature of the university. For-credit internships in a variety of fields are also available.
Program Type: Affiliated
- Full Year
Term Notes: This program follows the Australian academic calendar: Fall Quarter program begins in early July and ends in November. Winter/Spring Quarters begin in early February and end in late June. Full Year is either February through November (the Australian academic year) or early July through late June (the U.S. academic year). Students may choose either option.
- Carefully review Choosing Courses to Take Abroad.
- Arcadia University requires students to enroll in 12-16 semester credits; however, if you hope to earn the maximum of 6 units at Northwestern per semester, you will need to enroll in a minimum of 15 semester credits. This is particularly important for students participating on the program during Winter + Spring quarters.
- Some courses in the Education Department at the University of Sydney are not eligible for credit at Northwestern and should be reviewed by the Office of the Registrar to determine if they are transferable. Contact your Study Abroad Adviser for more information.
- The following University of Sydney courses are not transferable to Northwestern:
- Learning in Outdoor Education (EDUH4052)
- Sport and Learning in Australian Culture (EDUH4058)
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete a Northwestern Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete an Arcadia application by the program's deadline
- Sydney University Village: Self-catered student apartments with other Arcadia & Australian students, located adjacent to campus
- Student apartments: Self-catered student apartments with other international students, within walking distance to campus
- On-campus residential colleges with Australian students (spots are limited, competitive, and include an additional cost)
- For more information about University of Sydney housing options, visit Arcadia's Housing Overview page
Fall 2016: $28,670
Billed by Northwestern: $17,520
- Tuition: $14,900
- Study Abroad Fee: $2,620
Estimated additional costs: $11,150
- Housing: $5,400
- Meals: $1,615
- Airfare: $1,770
- Local transportation: $335
- Books & supplies: $225
- Personal expenses: $1,415
- Visa: $390
Financial Aid & Scholarships